• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recos for Electric Fuel Pump

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
I am looking to replace my existing electric fuel pump and separate pressure regulator with an “all-in-one” pump at the right pressure setting [which I believe is 1.75 psi]. The current setup is under the hood which is my preferred location. The carbs are zenith WIP-36 the engine is a 1725. Any recommendation for a pump would be appreciated. Also, the present pump is wired through the ignition switch. Is a separate cutoff switch still advisable?

65beam

Donation Time
I have the facet pump under the car in front of the battery box and bolted to the floor section that turns up to the package shelf . It's mounted on thin rubber washers and is shielded by the battery box. I have it connected so it only runs when the ignition is on. It has a max of 3PSI so no regulator.

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
One thing to be cognizant of is the difference between static and dynamic pressure. What may be rated at 1.75psi may generate 3+ psi at low to no flow. Best measure the pressure in order to determine if you need a regulator too. 2.5psi static is the max I would go on WIPs. Stoms will leak at 2psi+.

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
One thing to be cognizant of is the difference between static and dynamic pressure. What may be rated at 1.75psi may generate 3+ psi at low to no flow. Best measure the pressure in order to determine if you need a regulator too. 2.5psi static is the max I would go on WIPs. Stoms will leak at 2psi+.
My present regulator has .5 increments, so it is either 1.5, 2.0 or 2.5.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have an AC Delco mounted under the car by the battery box and a Mr Gasket fuel flow regulator in the engine compartment. The pump works a peach but I am replacing it with a Facet at some point. It is noisy, like I can hear it while driving.

65beam

Donation Time
What PSI is your pump? Mine is now mounted on rubber pads. I originally didn't use the rubber but when I took it to the shop in Dayton he made the change. It really lowered the noise level of the pump at road speeds.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mine is on rubber also but it is the pump itself that is noisy. I am running it at 1.5 or 2 on the regulator (can't remember which).

65beam

Donation Time
I ordered a Mr Gasket electric pump from Auto Zone with a max of 3 PSI. It was delivered yesterday and it is a round plastic housing. The others I have are a square metal housing. This one will eventually be installed on the 69 GT. The car still has the original black plastic fuel line so the car will be getting a nickle / copper metal fuel line when ever I get around to it.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I like the cheap pumps cause they are cheap. Hate em at idle and low rpms.
The pricey SU is whispering compared to the Facet and El Frugalos :)

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I ordered a Mr Gasket electric pump from Auto Zone with a max of 3 PSI. It was delivered yesterday and it is a round plastic housing. The others I have are a square metal housing. This one will eventually be installed on the 69 GT. The car still has the original black plastic fuel line so the car will be getting a nickle / copper metal fuel line when ever I get around to it.

The Mr Gasket pump will likley put out 5psi dead head (I bought one years ago). This pressure was even too high for my DCOE webers (which can take more pressure than most carbs before the needles will leak). I ended up having to also buy an adjustable regulator to go with it, which is why I now recommend facet pumps for small carbs.

65beam

Donation Time
The Mr Gasket pump will likley put out 5psi dead head (I bought one years ago). This pressure was even too high for my DCOE webers (which can take more pressure than most carbs before the needles will leak). I ended up having to also buy an adjustable regulator to go with it, which is why I now recommend facet pumps for small carbs.
You may be confused concerning the pump I bought. The PSI of the pump is clearly stated . I have these facet pumps on other vehicles I own and they work fine. This pump has to move more gas than the stock pump currently on the car and it has an internal leak. I never take the cars out without a piece of fire fighting equipment, cell phone and my Hagerty card.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
You may be confused concerning the pump I bought. The PSI of the pump is clearly stated . I have these facet pumps on other vehicles I own and they work fine. This pump has to move more gas than the stock pump currently on the car and it has an internal leak. I never take the cars out without a piece of fire fighting equipment, cell phone and my Hagerty card.

Not confused at all. When you get the pump, connect a pressure gauge to it and let it run with the engine off. The 3PSI pressure spec is at some flow rate. With zero flow, most electric pumps will have a higher static pressure than the dynamic (at flow) pressure. Mr. Gasket at the time I bought mine sold two electric pumps, a low pressure (3psi) and a higher pressure (7psi?). I bought the lower and it overflowed the carbs. Measured the dead head pressure and it was more than 5 psig. Had to buy a regulator to drop the pressure so the carbs would not overflow. The PSI on my pump was also clearly stated, it just wasnt exactly true for what mattered.

65beam

Donation Time
Not confused at all. When you get the pump, connect a pressure gauge to it and let it run with the engine off. The 3PSI pressure spec is at some flow rate. With zero flow, most electric pumps will have a higher static pressure than the dynamic (at flow) pressure. Mr. Gasket at the time I bought mine sold two electric pumps, a low pressure (3psi) and a higher pressure (7psi?). I bought the lower and it overflowed the carbs. Measured the dead head pressure and it was more than 5 psig. Had to buy a regulator to drop the pressure so the carbs would not overflow. The PSI on my pump was also clearly stated, it just wasnt exactly true for what mattered.[/QUOTE

My concern is that the car starts and runs down the road.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think the SU electric fuel pump is worth every penny.
Especially when you like to hear your motor purr and not sound like your old playing card in the spokes of your bicycle.
My lines weren't bastardized by somebody with a tubing cutter and hose clamps on one of my cars.. It's pretty hard to get the radio up loud enough to not hear an aftermarket one, and not be embarrassed when you're sitting there at the traffic light... 60 something going on 16 is a little embarrassing..

65beam

Donation Time
It's fact that I've lost 60% of my hearing so I don't notice much noise from things like electric pumps.