• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Flame trap

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think I have a couple hanging around. PM me your email and I'll take a picture
or two and send.

Cheers!
Steve

fireroad

Donation Time
The flame trap is the round little can that tubed of the vent pipe on the oil filler cap. A tube comes out the other side to the carbs

SDPhil

Silver Level Sponsor
Since we've got an audience, I've got a question. I've got my flame trap installed, its original. How do I verify if it's working? You can blow through from both sides. Is there supposed to be a check valve in it?

fireroad

Donation Time
Since we've got an audience, I've got a question. I've got my flame trap installed, its original. How do I verify if it's working? You can blow through from both sides. Is there supposed to be a check valve in it?

No check valve, flame traps usually have a metal screen that allows air and gases to pass through but snuffs out any flames (should those gases be on fire). This works because the metal screen draws heat away from the air/fuel mixture as it passes through, thus breaking the fire triangle (heat-fuel-oxygen). Once I get my hands on a trap I can confirm if it uses a screen or other material to draw the heat away.

SDPhil

Silver Level Sponsor
Got it. Thanks!

Phil

No check valve, flame traps usually have a metal screen that allows air and gases to pass through but snuffs out any flames (should those gases be on fire). This works because the metal screen draws heat away from the air/fuel mixture as it passes through, thus breaking the fire triangle (heat-fuel-oxygen). Once I get my hands on a trap I can confirm if it uses a screen or other material to draw the heat away.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Brian,
Busy day yesterday so didn't get a chance to take a picture.
Will do so this morning and get it off to you.
Cheers!
Steve

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It’s basically a metal can with an inlet on one side offset from an outlet on the other side, and a metal kitchen scrubby inside.