• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'65 Alpine w/auto. trans on eBay

MarkinDC

Donation Time
I had posted something on the "general" board, and am including the current eBay listing showing the '65 with the BW automatic transmission. I like that it has been SEEMS to have been kept stock, and it SEEMS nice (not that I know much), but am curious as to what others on here think. Here's the link, which sure seems long, along with a photo I copied separately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Sunbe...rentrq:0acde3e51720a9e8f3365083ff9fea60|iid:1

Attachments

• DSC00828_zpswmsg7pgz.jpg
    DSC00828_zpswmsg7pgz.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 14

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, it SEEMS nice. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone will be able to comment based on the Ebay photos. They contain absolutely no detail. Somebody needs to learn about fill flash.

Bill

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Comments?

Not original color,
has Weber - NOT Solex carb,
PCV has been eliminated,
don't S IV's have doors for soft top storage area??,
interior door panels leave a bit of room for improvement,
gear shifter cover gone.

Not bad for ~ 55 years old, but not exactly original - and I don't claim to be an Alpine expert.

MarkinDC

Donation Time
THANKS for the comments - main info. I'm seeking is should someone pay a premium for the rare BW auto. trans., and the general concensus I'm getting from everyone is a resounding "no." Other points on the non-original carbs, PCV, door panels, gear shift cover, etc., are great to know, much obliged.

Apologies to those I'm not savvy enough on "fill flash" (whatever that is) for to make it easy enough for you to review.

Kind regards - Mark.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I would not pay a premium for an automatic. In looking at the photographs of this car I feel a better car could be found for less.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mark,
The car is very close to me so I could look at it for you if you are interested in it.
My own take, just from the pictures is that it's in decent shape, but there are quite
a few things missing and wrong including my favorite pet peeve, screws in the door panels.

Let me know.
Cheers!
Steve

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The PO has removed the 3 original metal soft top covers and cobbled a Series V pleated panel and other misc. fabric. The asking price of nearly $18K, IMO, is way too high and there are much better buys to be had.

I know of a Series III that is far better sorted than this IV and can be had for 1/4 of the price (if its still available).

Mark .…. v

MarkinDC

Donation Time
Mark,
The car is very close to me so I could look at it for you if you are interested in it.
My own take, just from the pictures is that it's in decent shape, but there are quite
a few things missing and wrong including my favorite pet peeve, screws in the door panels.

Let me know.
Cheers!
Steve
THANKS - the listed price definitely seems in the "Condition One (1)" category, but based on what I'm hearing on here, the car doesn't match up, I have seen listings like this in MOPARland before, they eventually come down to earth; then again I'm in no hurry at all, so we'll see. Much obliged for the offer, and I'll let you know.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
This particular car has been offered on ebay multiple times but, as you are seeing, the asking price is way too high for the condition. I'm sure we'll all have different opinions on this, but I think he is asking at least twice what it is worth. The body looks pretty rust-tree, which is a big plus, but $18,000 is way too much for this car.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
From the photos at least, niiiice body.

Too bad about the screwed-on, ill-fitting door panels, when stock ones are available from Sunbeam Specialties at a very reasonable price.

Someone mentioned the non-stock Weber, without a PCV. According to a recent post, a PCV used with a Weber is the cause of the engine stumbling and dying at stoplights, and should be eliminated. I don't think any Series IV had its price reduced because the owner got rid of the Solex.

I'd like to see one photo of the softtop completely stowed. I get the feeling that maybe the installer made the rookie mistake of attaching the side flaps to the body.

MarkinDC

Donation Time
Very interesting about the Weber and PCV, good to know. I have a deep seated phobia of stalling while at a stoplight, quite a problem when you live in town. THANKS for the opinions, all. The jury is still "out" on the auto. trans., and may remain so until I could actually test drive it, not a likely event with current "conditions." At the asking price on this auction it isn't going anywhere anytime soon...……

canbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
I recall reading somewhere that there were only 14 automatics made, all Series IV. Anyone have accurate stats?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I recall reading somewhere that there were only 14 automatics made, all Series IV. Anyone have accurate stats?

canbeam,

There has to be more than fourteen. There is only 180 sIV entries in the sIV registry and I found 19 BW's listed. I'm sure it's not a sound statistical analysis, but 19/180 is more than 10%.

Just a thought,

MarkinDC

Donation Time
canbeam,

There has to be more than fourteen. There is only 180 sIV entries in the sIV registry and I found 19 BW's listed. I'm sure it's not a sound statistical analysis, but 19/180 is more than 10%.

Just a thought,
I THINK the eBay listing claimed 1000 built, but can't at ALL vouch for expertise on the lister's part. Probably hard to verify things like this...…..

RootesRooter

Donation Time
12,400 SIV's made, so 1,000 is a reasonable number for BW's, tho I wouldn't go any higher. I've only come across one or two in 40 years of Sunbeam ownership.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I still have the tag and fresh air box from a donor Alpine BW car had no clutch pedal . Too bad it was parted out before I got it . Then there was that yellow submarine car that I picked up in Escondido CA. that also was an auto transmission car. I couldn't get myself to break it or do anything to it so I just sold in February. Someone had cobbled in a Pinto motor and transmission. I wish I had kept some more pictures of it it was pretty comedic The alternator was lashed on like it was done by a boy scout.
So that's two shells out of five that I've had my fingers on.
Go figure out those odds.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Someone mentioned the non-stock Weber, without a PCV. According to a recent post, a PCV used with a Weber is the cause of the engine stumbling and dying at stoplights, and should be eliminated.
I think that was to do with the new " alpine inovations" manifold setup from the UK they got the fitting location wrong on the runner and causes the stalling issue.. So they recomend blocking it off.

On the usual log single carb setups they work fine

alpine_64

Donation Time
12,400 SIV's made, so 1,000 is a reasonable number for BW's, tho I wouldn't go any higher. I've only come across one or two in 40 years of Sunbeam ownership.
Most of the autos in the UK and AU seem to be GTs...which makes sense.. The higher spec plusher interior.. Occasional open car with more sound deadening etc... Yet ive seen at least 10 SIV ST autos on ebay in the USA ... Always thought the sports model with the auto an odd choice.. Made more sense in the GT to me.

65beam

Donation Time
The dealer system on the east coast consisted of master dealers with sub dealers working under the master. Generic cars with no options were delivered to the warehouse on the docks either in N.J. or Jacksonville with many of them being cars for stock so they had no specific dealer destination other than the master distributors. The subs bought cars thru the master. That may explain why many cars with automatics were basic cars instead of GT's and the ST would move faster into the dealer system just as cars with no options would move faster. This info came from Wally Swift and many long time TE/AE members remember Dan Morris who drove a transport and delivered Beams from both locations to dealers. The master / sub sales system is still being used today in many industries.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think that logic for the ST auto is flawed.

GT's were not " optioned cars" they were literally a different more upmarket model. Its not like an GT was an ST and someone said tick the box to add sound insulation, wooden dash and wheel, padded door panels, thicker 1/4 light bases, interior light, visors, remove the soft top and add a back seat.. Etc etc...

They were an upmarket model with a higher standard spec and higher base price. The more luxurious appointments and less sporting performance would lend the GT buyer to be a more relaxed user... Hence auto.

That said.. It was the states and the driving experience even in the 60s was already going to slush boxes in local usa sports cars...so maybe the usa market it was enough to look sporty amd not be able to actually drive it sportingly.

The tiger would have made a better auto cboice for usa.... No changing but bags of torque and straight line go

And if you go woth