• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Is there really a Smiths CE.3030/00 Clock?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Ian wrote an article which shows a 3030/00 clock. The picture may be off. It seems that some think that the 3030/00 is white arms, with 9 and 3 laying on their sides. And it came on early Tigers. However, there are some that think it simply doesn't exist. That all Tigers came with orange arms. 3131/00 or 3131/01.

Anyone have proof of the 3030?

There is a 2194/09 from earlier Alpines. But it has positive ground and that wouldn't work on a Tiger.

http://sunbeamalpine.org/2007/10/24/the-smiths-electric-clock/

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
So does anyone have color pictures of early Tigers showing white clock arms with 3 and 9 on their sides?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
It is already on the Tiger forums. Since "AlpineIan" wrote the article, and certainly sometimes Alpine owners know more about Sunbeam technical details than many Tiger owners, I thought it was fair to ask here.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ian wrote an article which shows a 3030/00 clock. The picture may be off. It seems that some think that the 3030/00 is white arms, with 9 and 3 laying on their sides. And it came on early Tigers. However, there are some that think it simply doesn't exist. That all Tigers came with orange arms. 3131/00 or 3131/01.

There is a 2194/09 from earlier Alpines. But it has positive ground and that wouldn't work on a Tiger.

I have a smiths clock that came from a Volvo white hands identical to what our cars hade

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor

Yes, they exist. One has been in my car since my dad bought the car in 1970.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Wow! Can you send a picture?

Here are the details that people want to know:
Are the needles white or red?
Are the adjusters on the top of the gauge or along the bottom?
Are the 9 and 3 upright, or laying flat?
Negative earth or positive earth?
Does the chrome bezel match the other gauges, or is the peak in a different location?

Really appreciate this.

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jay, needles are red, towards the orange scale.
Adjusters at the bottom.
Lazy 9 and 3.
Unique to the clock bezel.
Negative earth.

Car was originally sold at Risher Imports in Florida.

Attachments

• DSC_0218.JPG
    DSC_0218.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_0219.JPG
    DSC_0219.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_0220.JPG
    DSC_0220.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
I spoke and emailed your dad Steve, a few times. I was very sorry when he passed.

Yes, a Tiger built late 1964.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Pete, Nice dash....Note the layers of ply behind the guage:) in PIC 0220 right above the "HOT"

My dash has 9 layers not counting the cover. Very strongly built.... durable too!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hey didn't want to sound snarky when I commented on the late heater knobson email list. It's a common change to swap out the early controls that had the fan switch on the heater control. Be interesting to know if the case was stamped for negative earth as well. My business partner bought as many clocks as he could. The painted dials do have that painted checked look that was common to other timepieces. Thanks for sharing .

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Pete, Nice dash....Note the layers of ply behind the guage:) in PIC 0220 right above the "HOT"

My dash has 9 layers not counting the cover. Very strongly built.... durable too!

Hello Dan, it was supplied by Prestige Autowood.

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just bought a LHD Walnut burl dashboard with glove box door and Smiths clock from Alpine Innovations in the UK.
Jerome was really helpful and easy to work with. He also has the overdrive relays if anybody is looking for one.
Had my stuff in 4 days after making payment.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Guys, as an amateur watch maker, I am here to tell you those orange things are not needles or arms, they are called hands. Clocks have hands. ;)
I'm sorry I missed this post earlier.

Growing up on Looney Tunes over Disney (my grandfather worked at WB). I rushed to find a picture of a Bugs watch with hands:

Bugs arms.jpg

But learned that sometimes they are not arms, needles or hands, but carrots:

Bugs carrots.jpg

AIN'T I A STINKER?

Thats all folks.jpg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I made a small profit once selling a disney shareholders watch I picked up at a flea market for lunch money.