• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 5 Heater water valve

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Tim,

Thanks for the post. I am contacting the patent office to withdraw my application for my washer solution. Ha ha.

In my case, I did this because the end popped off and I could not get it back on the tabs to stay. But my thought process also related to a potentially serviceable option... if the internal parts were available somewhere... because I have another valve here with an internal leak. Mine repaired end one has not had any leaking at the washer/bolt solution end as yet... knock on wood. Because the original valve weakness was the tabs and because I have not heard of valves without the pop off issue having leaking around the end seal, I assumed the four point clamping system of the end plate was ok without additional sealing. The leaking at the push rod end appears to be the seal on the push rod and not at the perimeter of that seal.

I am still waiting on resolution for exchange on the Classic Sunbeam valve I have that leaks at the push rod. At some point I will likely just pull that apart and analyze and see if I can find a rubber part to fix it. Then I will likely also have to implement the washer end fix once it has been popped.

Rick

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Has anyone ever thought about converting to the early style valve?

I was going to do just that and spoke to Rick about it. He told me that it would work, but the dash lever would
not be correct. It would say HOT when off and Cold when on. Never tried it though. The valve and mounting
bracket are available, but the brass part that goes into the heater core is not. They're getting hard to find too.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Holy cow mark the calendar I agree with Bob .
The early valve served me well.
Although I can't agree on the driving when don't need the heater as the top is always down when the car goes out.

65beam

Donation Time
Holy cow mark the calendar I agree with Bob .
The early valve served me well.
Although I can't agree on the driving when don't need the heater as the top is always down when the car goes out.
I have stuff that allows me to change or retrofit anything on an Alpine so changing to an early valve on a series 5 would be something I could quickly do. We used to drive our cars all over the country with the top down unless we were in very warm sunny weather but that changed as the years moved on. Quite a few trips many years ago had a kid with no seat belt riding behind the seats. Now we need an SUV with proper HVAC system and dual zone controls.

65beam

Donation Time
I have info for everybody that might be interested in changing the series 5 heater valve over to the one used on series 1 thru 4. Ashley Hinton in the U.K. has the early valve, the mounting bracket and they now are selling the hard to find flange with the pipe for the heater hose. This bolts to the valve to attach one of the heater hoses. Cost of the flange/pipe unit is $19.81 each plus shipping.