• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mounting for Electric Fuel Pump

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
The fuel pump died 8 miles into my maiden travel. Forunately I was within pushing distance of a friend's house where we temporarily installed an electric fuel pump using one of the mounting bolts of the brake servo. Looking for suggestions on a better permanent location for the pump and pressure rgulator.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is an option for Alpine S3-5, MK2 location. You have a S1-2 don't you? Electric pumps work best by the gas tank I've been told, and not near exhaust pipes.
IMG_0090.JPG

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The best thing about the stock SU is it shuts off and is quiet but it is pricey, plus the MK2 has the filter in the wrong place.

65beam

Donation Time
Doug Jennings installed an electric facet pump on one of my cars several years ago. He's done this to quite a few Alpines over the years. He mounts them under the car on the right side of the floor where it is vertical going up to the package tray and near the battery box . Very easy to hook to the original fuel line and the power wire can be run with the other lines. The wire can be hooked to the ignition switch or a separate switch. My power wire is wire tied to the lines. The pump is protected and out of the way.It's also setting on a thin rubber pad which quiets the pump. I've installed them on two other cars since.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
For my V6's I place the Pumps just forward the spare tire mount, between the sheet metal and the rear axle "Hogs head"...

It is near level to the bottom of the tanks and clear of the exhaust pipes. If you must mount close to the exhaust system take caution to shield from heat.

Attachments

• Ricks Fuel line and Elect pump wiring showing inline filter  20180926_185537.jpg
    Ricks Fuel line and Elect pump wiring showing inline filter 20180926_185537.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Spare tire well.  Elec fuel pump is mount to the panel behing the tire mount.    20180919_182752.jpg
    Spare tire well. Elec fuel pump is mount to the panel behing the tire mount. 20180919_182752.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 73

alpine_64

Donation Time
Woody,

I mounted one on the back of the battery box. Its protected from road debris ans is near the tank on an eary car.

65beam

Donation Time
It looks like everybody installs the pump in the same general area so it's a matter of personal preference.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The stock SU is sold by Sunbeam Specialties. I am not sure if it is any different from the earlier car version. For some reason the MK2's placed the filter right under the boot on the engine side of the pump. I have a car with uncut fuel lines so left it that way after much hand wringing.... my fix was to take a very fine screen and make it so it would fit into the line fitting in front of the pump. The spare tire well is a good location provided you don't have a spare there :) Any of the cheaper pumps may require a regulator and rubber mountings as they can be annoying when listening to the purrrrr of you're baby.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Most electric fuel pumps work best as PUSHERS, so mounting near the tank is best. Always install a filter BEFORE the pump where it is easy to replace or repair. Good grounding is always necessary but often overlooked, and do not forget HEAT sources. I used a Dupree on a 40 Ford for 12 years with zero trouble, but it was a carburetor car, and FI requires much higher pressure. I do not have experience with aftermarket FI pumps. Procraft has the "L" bracket bolted to the frame rail and the pump bolted to that, which looks like a very solid way to do it.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sorry that I read the other postings after my comment. I'd give up a useless spare tire well to have an easily serviceable pump any day rather than a get down and dirty crawl guy to mess with the pump. The over feared fuel pump door and stock Tiger location is not so bad. May times my early Honda cycles have had a stuck float valve and dumped raw fuel onto a much hotter exhaust without becoming a Roman Candle. Clearly when changing I would pick the MK2 location though..