• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine ID

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
Now that the bonnet issue is resolved, it is now time to get down and dirty with the engine. The chassis and engine numbers do not match so the engine has been replaced. What I have not been able to locate is a chart that IDs the engine. The engine number is B395001171. What is it?

ALC 68A

Donation Time
It's a 1725cc engine from the (presumably scrapped) 1,171st Series V Alpine, built in the second week of November 1965. When new, Alpines had matching chassis and engine VIN numbers.

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
Totally agree that the Forum is an amazing resource. Been to that page but I do not see where it relates engine numbers to Series. Hope the parts I bought for my Series I fit my engine that is apparently a Series V.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Woody:

When new, Alpines had matching chassis and engine VIN numbers.

Also see this paragraph on the ID page:

Engine numbers – Engine numbers can be located on the distributor side of the engine, just in front of the oil filter. You will find a milled surface with the entire number including suffix die stamped directly into the block. This number should match the number on the data tag for your car to still have the correct block. Many Alpines today have engines from many other Rootes vehicles. If your engine has a cast iron head… then it may not be an Alpine block. Cast Iron heads require a different camshaft as well.
Letter Codes – “What do the letter codes on my data tag mean?” I have listed the codes with definitions below. Remember, not all of these options were available on Alpines. These codes cover the entire Rootes line of vehicles.

Most parts for a Series I engine will not fit the SV 1725 engine.

Tom

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
B90 - Series I
B91 = Series II
B92= Series III
B94= Series IV
B941 Series IVA
B395 = Series V
Note EDIT Made to correct SIVA and SV per Al.

As stated above the engine numbers will be the same as the chassis/body number. A new replacement engine from Rootes will not have a factory stamped number. The engine block will be "blank" unless someone other than Rootes did so.

Tom H just made a comment that is worth alot of attention.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Your Alpine is a Series I. The engine you have is a SV according to the numbers you provided.

Have you made an order for engine parts? If not, lets talk! If so, from what source?

This Forum will help you if possible get your parts identified.

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
Woody:

Also see this paragraph on the ID page:

Engine numbers – Engine numbers can be located on the distributor side of the engine, just in front of the oil filter. You will find a milled surface with the entire number including suffix die stamped directly into the block. This number should match the number on the data tag for your car to still have the correct block. Many Alpines today have engines from many other Rootes vehicles. If your engine has a cast iron head… then it may not be an Alpine block. Cast Iron heads require a different camshaft as well.
Letter Codes – “What do the letter codes on my data tag mean?” I have listed the codes with definitions below. Remember, not all of these options were available on Alpines. These codes cover the entire Rootes line of vehicles.

Most parts for a Series I engine will not fit the SV 1725 engine.

Tom
I have found the table that relates the chassis number to the Series. However, I have not found a table that relates the engine number to a particular Series. Curious but not really a concern given the awesome knowledge base of this forum.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Probably with what you have a mixture of Identification one being the Body Series I and the other the engine number from a Series V. should you need a specific part percular to either utilized the appropriate number.

Order part for the engine as if you were in possession of a SV Alpine with the B395 number.

Explain that to the Source (such as Sunbeam Specialities in California) and I'm sure they can help direct you to the proper parts.

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
So far the parts have been ordered from Sunbeam Specialties and are compatible with both SI and SV. I feel that I have only taken the first steps on what is likely a long journey.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
B90 - Series I
B91 = Series II
B92= Series III
B94= Series IV
B941 Series SIVA
B395 = Series V
Edit made Thanks ALC !
A little typo on the Series V - it should start B395 not B95. Also the later series IVa starts B941.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALC 68A

Donation Time
So far the parts have been ordered from Sunbeam Specialties and are compatible with both SI and SV. I feel that I have only taken the first steps on what is likely a long journey.
It is not uncommon to find the engine on earlier series cars has been swapped for a later 1725cc, either to obtain more performance or, on a Series I like yours, because parts for the original 1492cc engine are not so easy to find.

While the engine will fit as a direct swap, many of the ancillaries on a SI are different from a SV. They have different carburetors and inlet and exhaust manifolds; a different radiator with an engine mounted header tank that is absent from the SV and a gearbox with no synchromesh on bottom gear with a different clutch mechanism. The SV engine also obviously has very different internals from the SI.

Therefore, what you have got depends on whether the previous owner just swapped the bare engine and refitted the original ancillaries, or dropped in the complete power train from the SV. You could even have a combination of parts from all of the Alpine series. That's not unusual!

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have found the table that relates the chassis number to the Series. However, I have not found a table that relates the engine number to a particular Series. Curious but not really a concern given the awesome knowledge base of this forum.

Woody, read the part of the quoted paragraph, that I highlighted in BOLD about the engine number. This number should match the number on the data tag for your car to still have the correct block.

Not trying to be a pest , but I'm not sure how it could be made clearer. As you note this site is a great resource and we try to make it work for all, but I'm looking for what we missed here.

Good to see that the parts you ordered will fit your engine. Sunbeam Specialties is a big help and very knowledgeable.

Tom

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
No problemo. I was taking the chart way too literally. It mentions "Chassis numbers" and I did not realize that it applies to "Engine numbers" as well even when they do not match.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
No problemo. I was taking the chart way too literally. It mentions "Chassis numbers" and I did not realize that it applies to "Engine numbers" as well even when they do not match.
My post above was intended to point out that just relying on the engine number when ordering parts may be misleading. It would obviously be relevant when buying specific 1725cc engine spares, but the ancillaries may not be from a 1725cc, as they could be from the original Series I or any series Alpine in between. So many Alpines were kept going with whatever parts the owner could get, so you need to establish what you actually have fitted to your car.

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
My post above was intended to point out that just relying on the engine number when ordering parts may be misleading. It would obviously be relevant when buying specific 1725cc engine spares, but the ancillaries may not be from a 1725cc, as they could be from the original Series I or any series Alpine in between. So many Alpines were kept going with whatever parts the owner could get, so you need to establish what you actually have fitted to your car.
Totally understand. As it is said, This Alpine is like a box of chocolates.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Woody. Post a photo of the engine bay from both sides clearly looking down so we can help you identify what level of mix and match has been undertaken