• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front Suspension

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks like it was made for it! I see a silver piece that might be two pieces, is that the shim between the frame and crossmember?

When you get a chance, post a few more PICs for our viewing pleasure:)

That rolling seat makes a great jack stand too! Haven't thought of that idea:)

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Yes Dan there is a shim in there wasn't supposed to be, but a small engineering cockup arose. seemed like a good place to stow the seat! motors in also.IMG_1931.JPG

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Joel, Love the Quick Fuel carb too! What are your engine/cam specs? I would like to see more pictures of the front suspension too. What are your alignment specs?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Blue Print Crate 306 390/370 .75 neg. camber per. 3deg. castor and a little toe out carb recommended by Blue Print by the way here'sIMG_1934.JPG IMG_1935.JPG IMG_1936.JPG IMG_1935.JPG IMG_1936.JPG a couple more pix.

EriktheAwful

Donation Time
TAKE MY MONEY! PLEEEASE!

Seriously. If you're ready to sell I'm interested.
Just to verify, this is for adapting Mustang II parts?
Will it work with Series II cars?
Can I use the factory steering box?
Can I get one set up for tension rods, or should I just buy another set of lower control arms? Dang, I think I just answered my own question.
Is there anything crazy, unexpected, or not straight-forward about this piece?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
How did you get those wilwood calipers to fit?

Regards
Chubby

Randall,

The front suspension shown in posts #1 and #5 was designed / built by Procraft and used Mustang II style spindles. The Wilwood brakes shown in posts #1 and #5 are designed / built to fit Mustang II style spindles.

Wilwood claims to have a "brake kit" for late Series Alpines, but does not provide any details.

Just a guess, but it is probably similar to the brake kit for a Tiger.

chubby

Donation Time
Hello Barry,

Thank you, I was hoping Wilwood would have one for the Alpine on 14” wheels.

Regards
Randall

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
The Wilwood kit/kits mentioned here were designed for a Tiger they require a 15" wheel they were prototyped for the Grassroots Motorsports Tiger because of advertising perks so to speak. they designed a new front hub to go along with ,aluminum, we used to build brake kits for these cars and built kits that went inside a 13" wheel when we started this resulted in Wilwood setting us up as a whosailer the business kind of tapered off so to speak so we decided not to pursue this any further WE ONLY BUILD STUFF FOR OURSELVES the pictures Barry eludes to are a Wilwood kit that is one of three that is available for Mutt spindles, they told us that it would fit in side a 15" wheel, however we decided to not use the 12" rotor in this kit and instead subbed a 11.75" rotor instead and re machined the mounting brackets to suit. when we started building our front suspension we used wilwoods spindles and did our own brake deal using the 11.75 rotor. Wilwoods kit uses a radial mount caliper and has a bracket that go's between the steering arm and the spindle where the old caliper used to live. an to top this off the last kits we built were for 14" wheels!

alsalp

Donation Time
I'd like to create a brake set up for my 13" wheels and a 10" rotor. Which Wilwood calipers are best?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'd like to create a brake set up for my 13" wheels and a 10" rotor. Which Wilwood calipers are best?

"Best" assumes that there are at least three suitable Wilwood calipers. In fact, there are no Wilwood calipers with the correct combination of piston area, mounting / offset and rotor diameter / width for a Series 3 / IV / V Alpine with factory rotors and 13" wheels. Wilwood makes a "Front Brake Kit" (P/N 140-11743) that will supposedly fit a Series 3 / IV / V Alpine, but it is $1,300+ and requires 15" (or larger) wheels. Between the 11.75" rotors and the 4.8 square inch piston area, the front / rear balance with stock rear brakes would be way off.

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
We built a kits years ago using a 10.25 rotor and 4 piston Wildwood Caliper specifically for thirteen inch wheels,and in regard to Barry's post we built probably 30/40 kits and all we're run with the drum rears when we first did ours we ran drums on the rear for 2 years before we did a rear disc deal.

Last edited:

alsalp

Donation Time
My discs I want to use a 10.08". My rears are drums that came with my Ford 8". I just want to know a (best) Wilwood part number for calipers for 10" vented rotor and 13" wheels