• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 5 Heater water valve

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Warren.... I have no present access to an original S V valve, but would be very interested in seeing one. I am assuming after removal of rivets you either re-riveted or implemented bolts? Was your cleaning process just removal of gunk, or did you attempt to replace the rubber items within.
Rick

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Not very original but serves temporarily very well approx. $ 10.-

208123243-w988-h801.jpg

Source e.g.:
https://www.bus-scheune.de/weitere-...y-Golf-Jetta-Passat-Scirocco-Corrado::88.html

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not very original but serves temporarily very well approx. $ 10.-

I for one am not interested in originality if originals fail continuously! The "replacement" I have on an Alpine for the past 12 years works nicely.

The one you (am99ey) posted looks to be sufficient as a replacement ! Only question I have, is what did you mean "serves temporarily" ? Due to it also failing? Or until an original that works is found?

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Dan
I have an original_like installed only for the official inspection MOT (?) which is every 3 years.
The valve I have bought on ebay as the very original is broken/leaking.
The rest of the time I have the "VW Golf replacement" in operation.
No leakage, no problems, it just works fine, for years. Although I have not connected it to the wire, I adjust the warmth by opening the bonnet ..
Andy

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks much for that explanation, Andy!

Now I have another alternate Heater Valve to utilize if needed.

Sure glad we (here in Sunny South Carolina) don't have anything like the MOT!

65beam

Donation Time
100_0549.JPG There's one thing I haven't seen anyone mention. How often do you operate the valve for use of the heater or do they fail from lack of or no use of the valve? Do you park the car with the heater valve left open or do you close it off? Is there a possibility that leaving it open could cause corrosion to build up that could cause the leak? What kind of coolant do you have in the engine? My reason for asking is that we hardly ever drive our cars when a heater is required and I have never had a valve fail on any of the series 5's that we've had over the years. The valve on the blue car was an NOS piece installed in the mid 90's. All of the questions I asked are the normal questions that years of being in the Lube / Coolant business are something I have to know when I go to the tech line and ask the engineers on the other end about a failure of any kind.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have seen that in my 7 years the valves can suffer from non use. This is especially evident when you can pull the rivet out, "of old style" and find gummed up schumtz in the plunger area. I believe the coolant can dry up below the valve and as the fire dept says " we gotta exercise the valves." I would also add the boaters advice on anything mechanical and other things ;) "use it or loose it."
The Murray one I had was in the boot was all metal but priced at 10 bucks as well. I need another for the emergency kit as its on the list of don't leave home without it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Dan
I have an original_like installed only for the official inspection MOT (?) which is every 3 years.
The valve I have bought on ebay as the very original is broken/leaking.
The rest of the time I have the "VW Golf replacement" in operation.
No leakage, no problems, it just works fine, for years. Although I have not connected it to the wire, I adjust the warmth by opening the bonnet ..
Andy
So a successful MOT inspection requires an original style heater control valve?
Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Engine coolants is a science of it's own. There are many factors involved and too many to list here. A few are metals involved, gaskets, engine use, fuel, Etc, Etc. A low silicate product is required if aluminum is in the mix. There are phosphate free coolants and silicate free coolants. Think about what the valve base is made of. Water is the best for heat transfer but not good for the engine and other related pieces. I've used preblended 50/50 conventional coolants for years.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, Andy, I have read several threads about how particular the Swiss MOT (actually called MFK there) inspections are on cars over 5 yrs old. Seems you need to have the car immaculately clean inside and out, with no leaking fluids anywhere. And it seems if you have non original wheels you may need a certificate of acceptability from the original car manufacturer. But I cannot imagine that a non-original heater control valve would be an issue. Maybe Andy is just being extra cautious. Maybe a good idea!!
Here's one thread describing some of the issues:
https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/170-testing-car-mfk.html

Tom

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, Andy, I have read several threads about how particular the Swiss MOT (actually called MFK there) inspections are on cars over 5 yrs old. Seems you need to have the car immaculately clean inside and out, with no leaking fluids anywhere. And it seems if you have non original wheels you may need a certificate of acceptability from the original car manufacturer. But I cannot imagine that a non-original heater control valve would be an issue. Maybe Andy is just being extra cautious. Maybe a good idea!!

Tom
I bought the Moss 635-270 for my TR. The valve works fine and looks well made. If we could figure out a way to mount the cable for an Alpine it might be
a good substitute.
Rick

65beam

Donation Time

Tom
Tom,
Isn't it great to live in Ohio where we have NO INSPECTIONS of any kind!

65beam

Donation Time
107_1010.JPG The cable for the series 1 thru 4 Alpine heater valve does come out on the right side of the bulkhead and the series 5 valve cable comes thru on the left side. It's easy to switch the cable. The early valve does have a brass fitting with a tube for attaching the hose. The piece with the hose fitting sets on one side of the mounting bracket with the valve on the engine side of the bracket and is held by two bolts. There is a tapered rubber fitting that seals it all together. You would need the entire early valve set up including the bracket to use it on a series 5. FYI, SS sells new cables as a set. View attachment 15096 View attachment 15096 View attachment 15097 You can see the difference in these photos of our series 4 and our series 5.

Attachments

• 100_0549.JPG
    100_0549.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill, Tom
Yes, I am extra cautious. After all, my Alpine 1966 is still on the road - passing the tests regularly without any problems.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/c/d/information/mfk-die-motorfahrzeugkontrolle-in-der-schweiz?a=1300
It may sound pedantic, but there is a reason for it.
Imagine, most people don't know what a steering wheel does, they don't know what a break pedal does - they only know the effect operating it. So somebody with expertise needs to tell tell them how long the breaks are good etc etc.
(.. we are an exception because we know our Alpines and all about)
Andy

Last edited:

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
DSC08449.JPG All this talk about heater valves got me to look at one of my parts cars today-anyone see something seriously wrong with this installation on a S4?!

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Good eye Mike!
Photo taken as I found it. I don't see any water on the dip stick unless it is all in the bottom of the pan. Hopefully the engine was never run with the hose connected like that. It is not locked up either. Wow, what "mechanic" did that? Eric