• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Exhaust Odor

Donation Time
Dumb question maybe, but does everyone else have exhaust smell coming over the trunk and into the car, and, if so, what can be done about it? The exhaust is pretty new I think...

Thanks

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
For most of us the smell of gasoline overpowers any exhaust fumes!

Seriously - check for a leak. Not a common problem (in my experience). I also seem to recall reading that the exhaust should extend a couple inches beyond the end of the car - but I don't recall where. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

Last edited:

dwolff706

Donation Time
Might also check that the rubber grommets/plugs over the back shocks (inside boot) are intact... but not sure if this applies to any except Series V.
Good Luck

alpine_64

Donation Time
The boot seal holds a lot of the exhaust smell out.. The turbulence of the air as the car moves will drag the fumes back towards the car. The boot lid needs to be a good fit and the rubber seal ( blade seal is correct) should be compressed against the body. Also the grommets in the rear of the boot floor either metal or rubber must be in place and the exhaust tip extended slightly beyond the bumper

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
the exhaust tip extended slightly beyond the bumper
I agree with Michael, your exhaust tips are probably too short. They have to extend past the bumper to keep the fumes
out of the car. If they do extend past the bumper, then check the areas Michael has oulined.
Cheers!
Steve