• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cheaper to Keep ‘Er?

Oldbeamboy

Donation Time
Bought a ‘64 Alpine last fall.
Bought with all intentions of fixing what was a Driver but not exactly a daily driver to be more useful as time went on.

Just this week, my car met with a new fate. It suffered a collision while reposing in my garage.

Wonder what to do now.
Try to repair (ruptured fuel tank, crushed rear right fin and tail light,
badly crumpled bumper, other body dents in the front fenders after being slammed into a bank of stored odds n ends in the garage, unknown effects on the mechanics)?
Live in Topeka, Kansas.
Paid $3800 to purchase.
Or take an insurance settlement to total the car?

Any thoughts?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Bummer. In your own garage.
Getting fins to look nice again can be tough, although starting with a donor panel gives you a head start.
How fresh was the drivetrain? Any special parts, like OD trans, upgraded engine, new interior, hardtop?
That can inform your next steps.

Maybe that's take the buyout, then buy the wreck and use the bits to populate a carefully-selected low-rust shell. If you can find one.

A junkyard in Tulsa was threatening a few Alpines with the crusher two weeks ago. Who knows what survived, but may be worth a look as a panel donor.

40 years ago, my first Alpine got crunched pretty good in my own driveway. My Mom backed our full-size van into it. Oops.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Really need to see photos of damage. Was the car straight and rust free before? Is the new damage mostly superficial external bodywork?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Id say parts car now. Get insurance money and buy the salvage car back then find a decent straight car and use old as donor or part it out.

Sorry to see the accident :-(

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've seen damage like that before, just not as severe. A guy contacted me to get replacement panels because a buddy backed his pickup into his SV while the tailgate was down. Took out both fins and the boot lid.
Curious crunch. I don't suppose it was the rollback in the pic that hit your car, was it?

Alpine66

Donation Time
Ugh, that's painful to see. If the insurance Co will total and let you buy back for a good price that's the way to go. Sell the usable parts rather than having it all crushed.

Oldbeamboy

Donation Time
I've seen damage like that before, just not as severe. A guy contacted me to get replacement panels because a buddy backed his pickup into his SV while the tailgate was down. Took out both fins and the boot lid.
Curious crunch. I don't suppose it was the rollback in the pic that hit your car, was it?
Not my spouse. A neighbor using my driveway to change directions was the unfortunate player in this event. Luckily, no ostensible injuries. Thanks for your suggestions.