• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Exhaust Header - 1725cc Any Advice?

NBGarage

Donation Time
Hello all,
I just got my Series V running with the new single Weber two stage carb and intake from Sunbeam Specialities. I am not an expert but it seems the engine now needs better flow on the exhaust side and I was wondering if anyone out there has installed a real tube header on their 1725. IF so did it help performance and are these headers still available? If so from where?

thanks

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
SS still shows a header in the catalog. You'd have to check his stock. Other than that, don't know anything about it. I know a lot of guys are running the Webber with the stock exhaust without a problem. Just my 2cents.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I have a Weber and stainless tube headers. It's all on an engine that came pre-tweaked from Jim Dimond, (Cactusmasher), but he got it from a local guy pre-tweaked as well. So I don't really know what else was done to it, but Jim D. may be able to find out if the previous owner is around, and remembers the car.

I don't have much basis for comparison vs. my previous clapped-out, Stromberg-suckin', cast-iron-header-havin' original engine, which was quite long overdue for freshening-up.

All I can report is reasonable, umm... "competitive" performance in comparison to Tom H and Jim Stone's cars a few years ago in the Wisconsin area.

Five Reviver

Silver Level Sponsor
In my searches of the forum I have come across many mentions of Bill Atalla’s performance header but have not found a photograph - not one that I can access anyway.
I have a broken cast iron header which must be replaced and I’m considering the several options.
Would someone be able to post a photo of the Bill Atalla header?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill was a saoca member. He had the header custom made in a small batch and was 4 into 1.

Your best/ easiest bet is a falcon stainelss header as sold via sunbeam specialties

Tom13

Donation Time
Hi, I have some time ago bought a performance header from Bill and mounted in my Alpine. Wonderful quality
but unfortunately no longer to buy. Here are some pictures.

Thomas

Attachments

• PICT0065.JPG
    PICT0065.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 85
  • PICT0053.JPG
    PICT0053.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill was a saoca member. He had the header custom made in a small batch and was 4 into 1.

FWIW, the second picture provided by Tom13 is NOT a "4 into 1" header; it is a "4 into 2 into 1" header.

Other things being equal (they almost never are), a "4 into 1" layout should give a little more top end power and a "4 into 2 into 1" layout should give a little more mid-range torque.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom, Could you post a few more PIC's of your headers at different angles?

They would be much appreciated!

I have a set of headers from Sunbeam Spec in Calif that are going on a 1725 engine in my '65 SIV ST OD 70....

I've even considered fab'n some custom headers for my other 4 cyl's...

alpine_64

Donation Time
FWIW, the second picture provided by Tom13 is NOT a "4 into 1" header; it is a "4 into 2 into 1" header.

Other things being equal (they almost never are), a "4 into 1" layout should give a little more top end power and a "4 into 2 into 1" layout should give a little more mid-range torque.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
I might have remembered incorrectly about bills headers as he only did one design. So they may have been 4-2-1.

As for your comment re power v torque thats the correct theory. :)

Tom13

Donation Time
Dan, here are some pictures from another perspective. The cone at the end of the header is not part of bills header.
This part was welded by me. Unfortunately, I do not have better pictures. I hope it helps anyway.
Thomas

Attachments

• Header bottom.JPG
    Header bottom.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Header top.JPG
    Header top.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Header front.JPG
    Header front.JPG
    646.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Header sideview.JPG
    Header sideview.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Header , Weber , Airbox.JPG
    Header , Weber , Airbox.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 75

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan, here are some pictures from another perspective. The cone at the end of the header is not part of bills header.
This part was welded by me. Unfortunately, I do not have better pictures. I hope it helps anyway.
Thomas
Tom,

Did you c and c a blank rootes rocker cover or did you mill/ cast a new one. Looks great.

Great engine bay.. Love the shaved look, holbay style airbox and alloy rad.

Last edited:

Tom13

Donation Time
Dan,

it's a blank rootes rocker cover and then CNC milled. The Alloy Radiator was made by a friend and the
Holbay Style Airbox is an own production.

I do not like cables in the engine bay and that's why I hid them all:).

Tom

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom you have done a fantastic job of hiding the cables which highlights the other niceties:)

Mike Broome

Silver Level Sponsor
Coming back to the original question, The 1725 engine is restricted by the exhaust system. The only answer is to have a custom system produced which ideally should be a 4 into 2 into 1 system which is what I have fitted to my engine. I also had the whole system replaced with a 2 inch system. Not cheap to buy, but the only way to realease power if you have spent money on head work, cam change, weber carbs etc.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike, Been a while. Do you still have the alpine you used to hill climb? How did the run of lsd's work out all those years back?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
In my searches of the forum I have come across many mentions of Bill Atalla’s performance header but have not found a photograph - not one that I can access anyway.
iI have a broken cast iron header which must be replaced and I’m considering the several options.
Would someone be able to post a photo of the Bill Atalla header?

I have one of Bill's headers "somewhere" in my bits.

If you still need a photo let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

I'd also sell it if anyone is interested, but I don't recall what they sold for.

I had it on a "Holbay clone" engine for a while but the engine went down.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Allan, If you can find it I'd like to see the difference in them and mine...

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
Here is a photo of Bill's race car with the exhaust header installed. The carb blocks seeing the center two exhaust tubes. I took these photos when I picked up the car Jean bought from him.100_0608.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob, Nice looking ALpine.... But does it have an exhaust :) Just kidding of course. The engine compartment is full and the only thing you ca see of the exhaust is two very very small portions of two header pipes.

Do you have any PIC's from "down-under" available for the viewing public (namely me)?

What's the 3r Master Cylinder's function?

Thanks