• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Looking for someone to fix Overdrive relay

Ashfried

Donation Time
It looks like my original 1966 overdrive relay needs to be rebuilt. The overdrive unit works just fine, the steering column switch works fine. When I turn on switch, the light goes on for a moment but does not engage the overdrive. So I know its not the switch, and not the OD..... that leaves the relay.

Anyone know of someone that can refurbish the relay. It is in great shape, no rust, no visible damage, just not working.

I am in Los Angeles, so closer the better.

Ash

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ash,

I don't know anyone that rebuilds the OD relays. If you strike out with a relay rebuild, there is another option. You can buy a new 'standard' 6RA relay and then modify it to work with the series V OD. You can preserve the self-cancelling feature as the gear shifter moves between the 3-4 side to the 1-2 side. Tom Hayden sold me an inexpensive kit of components and a wiring schematic and I used those to modify a Lucas SRB111 6RA relay. The resistor and diode components will be visible with this setup. The brand new Lucas relay looks similar to the original OD relay. (See photo)

Mike

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 43

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I found a sticker for the new relay, too.

Mike

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 33

Ashfried

Donation Time
Hey Mike,

Mike,

It looks good and defiantly and option, if I cant find someone to do the rebuild. I did find some info on what might be the problem, and how to fix it. I would love to keep it orig, and if I can't find someone who has done it before, I'll give it a try myself. At least I know I have options. BTW I have already reached out to Tom, to get his input on a rebuild.

Thanks

Ash

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Ash, there is a writeup on how to fix these relays at

http://ka9635.wixsite.com/sunbeam-and-talbot/tip-and-tricks

While doing some searching, I'm looking at Victoria British Austin Healey OD Relay. it looks like ours, don't we have the 5 poles. It's a 12 V 6R according to another website. Hey, I don't know enough about how any of this stuff work, and just maybe it wouldn't work, but maybe it would?
Wouldn't it be great if it did? Just tryin to help. Maybe someone already knows if this works or not.

Good Luck.

alpine_64

Donation Time

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
They also carry the Tudor windshield water bottle/bag sticker. Printed on Clear vinyl or what ever the stock is. Put one on my repro water bag, looks great.
Sorry Ash, your thread was highjacked. Hope you get your OD fixed.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ash,

If you find a rebuild option, I'm interested in hearing about it. I have an original OD relay that came in the OD kit from Jeff Howarth. I'd probably do a pre-emptive rebuild on the relay and then consider using it. I didn't want to install a 50 year old relay when I did the OD swap.

Thanks,
Mike

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
This Terry Sully's instructions basically says to unsolder the ground connection, remove the internals. Carefully clean contact points and then reassemble. Could it be that simple?

Then goes on to say if that doesn't work to use a different relay etc. and supplies a diagram for that fix.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Relay coil could be open or shorted, too. Probably available from a 'donor' relay of similar type. Otherwise, contacts... spring... wires... solder joints, and looks like a resistor. Not much to mess with. If replacing resistor shown in link, make sure the wattage is equal or greater than OEM.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have repaired my OD relay, but it still failed once in a while, so I rewired it using my diode and resistor kit, while keeping the original relay but connecting the two contacts in parallel to make it work like a common single pole relay. While it mike work to simply take the relay apart and cleaning the contacts I found that the real problem is having the right balance of springy tension in the two contact blades. I found that the relay would pull in sufficiently to close the contact that "latches" the relay ON, and the OD light would be ON, but the second contact that actually delivers power to the solenoid would not be closed. So I bent that contact blade to assure that it was making contact when the relay was energized. But then sometimes the "Latching" contact would lose contact and he relay would open. I fiddled a bit more and got the contact blades about right. But then I just wired the two contacts together and added my diode and resistor.

By the way, Ash I have not received any e-mail (preferred) or PM from you

P.S. When you turn the switch ON, can you hear the relay click? If you hold the switch ON does the OD turn on? And note also that the solenoid on the OD may be the problem.

Tom

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim Jordan writes:

While doing some searching, I'm looking at Victoria British Austin Healey OD Relay. it looks like ours, don't we have the 5 poles. It's a 12 V 6R according to another website. Hey, I don't know enough about how any of this stuff work, and just maybe it wouldn't work, but maybe it would?
Wouldn't it be great if it did? Just tryin to help. Maybe someone already knows if this works or not.

Jim, I looked in the VB catalog and see the relay VB # 8-462. Looking at the drawing they show, I don't think this is the special latching type relay. It shows 5 connections, but one pair of connections is a dual pin, so just 4 terminals, i.e. a standard 6RA relay. But a good choice to use with an external diode and resistor to maintain an original look.

Tom

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom,

Do you think it is feasible to take an original OD relay case, swap in the internals from a new standard 6RA relay with the same form factor, like the Lucas SRB111, and do the resistor and diode wiring modifications so the additional components are inside the relay case?

I think one piggyback connector might still be needed with the SRB111 connectors.

Thanks,
Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, that might be feasible, I'm sure there's room inside for the diode, not so sure there's room for the resistor. But I don't understand why you would do it. And why would you use the original case? It's identical to the standard 6-RA case. And , of course it would confuse the heck out of the next owner, trying to figure out what's there. Is that worth the trouble to avoid such a very minor deviation from original look? Especially once you put the label on the case!!

BTW, have you posted my modification instructions on-line somewhere?

Tom

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom,

I am happy with my current setup, especially with the label on it. Just musing about options to get a 'new' OD relay with the self cancelling feature. Might even be able to add some connectors to match the original relay setup.

There needs to be some next owner confusion. Otherwise, you haven't earned the vehicle. :)

I have not posted your OD relay mod write-up yet. I'll work that out offline with you to make sure you approve of the content and get that posted soon!

Mike

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Lucas 33199 was the original 9-terminal relay for the self-cancelling OD gearbox. It's pretty elusive and the only application I could ever find was for Rootes and Ferrari. I sold several in the past year but believe I have one or two used original 33199 remaining.

On my bench I create a circuit to mimic the relay's correct functionality so anyone who buys one knows it works and isn't a DOA.

I do still have a single, unused NOS 33199 still in its box so if someone is interested PM me. Its a bit pricey but they weren't cheap when I bought them years ago!

Mark ..... volvoguys