• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A solution in search of a problem

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
For those who are interested.

Attachments

• P1010358 (Custom).JPG
    P1010358 (Custom).JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 144
  • P1010359 (Custom).JPG
    P1010359 (Custom).JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 119
  • P1010360 (Custom).JPG
    P1010360 (Custom).JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 111

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's a work in progress. The progress comes sporadically between the "great ideas" and "well, that didn't work".

More pictures to follow as the solutions are worked out.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's a work in progress. The progress comes sporadically between the "great ideas" and "well, that didn't work".

More pictures to follow as the solutions are worked out.

That is how I ended up with a garage full of brake rotors and caliper adaptors.

Trying to retain the stock crossmember?

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is that like 75% off-the-shelf parts? And fully adjustable to boot?

The only fabricated part is the cross-shaft; everything else is off-the-shelf. It is fully adjustable; the jam nuts are missing on the short link.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dang. Great Adjustability + standard engine mounting would be an interesting combo...

Ken,

The upper control arm (UCA) shown in the first post is not intended for use on the Alpine crossmember.

A fully adjustable UCA for the Alpine crossmember can be accomplished a couple of different ways, but that would be a different project.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know the diameter of the Alpine cross-shaft where the UCA pivot bushings mount?

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Barry, Very nice work! I was initially worried about the strength of the clevises but computer stress analysis and lots of stock car racers have proven the design. There is a guy doing Chevy street rod suspension also with that style of upper A arm.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Very Interesting .. did you make the ball joint socket and is it pressed in?

The ball joint holder is forged steel and is threaded for a screw-in "K772" ball joint.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Something to go with the adjustable upper control arm.

Attachments

• P1010364 (Custom).JPG
    P1010364 (Custom).JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 56
  • P1010363 (Custom).JPG
    P1010363 (Custom).JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
A wooden mockup of something to attach the control arms to.

The 2x6 on the left front is just to keep the wood gizmo from falling over.

The vertical 2x4's on the top represent the Alpine "frame rails".

Attachments

• P1010377 (Custom).JPG
    P1010377 (Custom).JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 52
  • P1010378 (Custom).JPG
    P1010378 (Custom).JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 42
  • P1010379 (Custom).JPG
    P1010379 (Custom).JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 33

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill,

The wooden mockup revealed a "minor" problem (no way to install the rear crossmember attachment bolts), so some changes are in the works.

The cross bolt in the lower control arm is where the lower end of a coil-over shock is supposed to mount. The fact that there is not enough room for the correct length coil-over shock may be a challenge

Last edited:

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Barry, last week I said I'd measure up the UCA cross shaft. Sadly, the bolts on my 'spare' non-installed front end have consumed a couple impact sockets while resisting removal. Things don't look good without significant surgery on it, and it's gonna be awhile. It looks like I'll be ordering new, but not for a couple months at least. Sorry, man.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken,

Not a problem. I asked because it may be possible to create an adjustable upper control arm using the Alpine cross shaft. Won't do me any good, but it might be useful for those who are having alignment issues with the stock suspension setup.