• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series I-II shock conversion kit

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Still have a couple of kits left for the conversion to tube shocks on Series I-II cars; hurry, rust happens.
$125.00 and shipping, $13.65.

cdk84

Donation Time
lever shock conversion kit

I bought a set of these and they fit perfectly and work very well on my early Series Alpine.

I do not receive any compensation for this: it's just that high quality work, well executed and affordably priced should be pointed out when it's found. This is that kind of work.

Best

David

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
conversion kit

Thanks for that very kind comment, David.
I have sold all but one set,#40, which I may keep as a pattern in the event there is demand for more. I think the early series market is about saturated at this point as there are other makers, and a lot of owners make their own.
Interestingly, the last few sets sold were for Hillman owners, which had not crossed my mind, not knowing much about them. So, maybe there will be more demand. A good project for the winter months.
Send me some pictures of the Harrington.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have sold all but one set,#40, which I may keep as a pattern in the event there is demand for more. I think the early series market is about saturated at this point as there are other makers, and a lot of owners make their own.
Interestingly, the last few sets sold were for Hillman owners, which had not crossed my mind, not knowing much about them. So, maybe there will be more demand. A good project for the winter months.

OK, I'll take it. What shock do you use with it?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
bulldurham,

Looks like you may have tried to send a PM to me.
The silly forum SW will send a notification to me me telling me that there is no room in my inbox but wont fwd the stupid personal message.

I dont use the forums message system anymore becuase the 20 messages it lets you store (both sent and incoming) becomes impossible to manage.

Instead, use the forum to send a personal email instead or just reply to this thread.

Thx,

jarrid

PapaChap

Donation Time
Series 2 rear shock conversion kit

I would like to purchase a rear shock conversion kit for my 1963 Alpine series 2. I just finished replacing the front rusty worn out shocks with a mild set of KYB's from Sunbeam Specialties. Please let me know if there still available. Thanks.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Possible inclusion in SITE UPDATE

Jarrid, If you would kindly send me (and the other Officers) a "write-up" of the problem you described in the POST to Bulldurham (Doug Miller), I'll try to resolve that problem when we up date the SAOCA site and the many other things we are to improve upon.

Thanks for making mention of it!

Awaiting your response,

DanR

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Jarrid, If you would kindly send me (and the other Officers) a "write-up" of the problem you described in the POST to Bulldurham (Doug Miller), I'll try to resolve that problem when we up date the SAOCA site and the many other things we are to improve upon.

Thanks for making mention of it!

Awaiting your response,

DanR

I'll do it right here in public.
The issue is this, we only have 25 total messages that can queue before the inbox is full and no one can message us. We get an email telling us its full but until we delete the qty of messages (from inbox, sent or wherever), we cannot get at any new messages. The trouble is that I (like many others I suspect) have quite a few inbox and sent messages that we do not wish to delete for whatever reason. As a result, the messaging system is effectively broken unless someone sends the message to our email.
Some of us dont have the email method as being active, so in this especially egregious case, those of us with full message boxes cant even contact those without email contacts at all. This is why we see messages from time to time saying such and such's inbox is full and messages are placed online instead.

At one time, the unpaid members had an equal amount of messages allowed as those as paid members ( dont know if that is still the case). It seems to me that 25 total messages is ridiculously low for a message board like this. Consider limiting the unpaid members to some low qty that yields an incentive to become paying members (additionally consider a no non-member "for sale" policy for the same reason).

This isnt really the reason that I have not recently made a club "donation" (more like terminal laziness), but if I felt that there was more value applied to paying members, I would probably feel a bit more pressure to make that donation.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll do it right here in public.

Fine with me! Figure it will make for more comments from others quicker too!

I will "Copy" for the other Officers in case they perchance miss your comments.

Your comments and suggestions sound good to me!

DanR

cuppy65

Donation Time
I'm interested in converting my Armstrong shocks with modern shocks. I have replaced the rear housing assy with a 67 housing so the shocks mounts on the housing are good to go. But is there a upper bracket and shock kit I can get to complete?

cuppy65

Donation Time
I am in the market for this kit. I've replace the rear housing in my SII , 1962, and the 67 housing I used has the lower shock mount welded on the axil housing but is your kit a bracket that bolts to the upper floor pan and does it come with the shocks that will work ?
conversion kit

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Cuppy65, the kit I made was for a straight out Armstrong replacement, using all the same mounting points.
I have never looked at using it w/ the later housing but my guess is that it is not a solution for you. It may be that you can reinforce
the upper trunk area as done w/ the later series , and mount the shocks in that fashion.
At present I do not have any kits for the early conversion. If a few orders were to appear then I would make a few sets.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Still have a couple of kits left for the conversion to tube shocks on Series I-II cars; hurry, rust happens.
$125.00 and shipping, $13.65.

Hey Guys,
The club has a section in on our home page that this type of information could be shared. It would be great if someone could document the kit and its installation for a tech/service doc. We could include it on the home site with the other articles. I would love to see more people producing docuemtents for other members, I hope it is not too much to ask. Just can get enought of seeing what people do to keep things up and running.
All the best,
Andrew

65beam

Donation Time
Cuppy65, the kit I made was for a straight out Armstrong replacement, using all the same mounting points.
I have never looked at using it w/ the later housing but my guess is that it is not a solution for you. It may be that you can reinforce
the upper trunk area as done w/ the later series , and mount the shocks in that fashion.
At present I do not have any kits for the early conversion. If a few orders were to appear then I would make a few sets.
We have a LeMans next in line for restoration that according to Wally Swift was raced by a dealership in the D.C. area. There were mods done to the body to use the tube type shocks just as later series 4 and 5 cars used. They reinforced the upper area by welding a steel bar on the underneath of the body and drilling mounting holes. It has a later axle housing installed.

cuppy65

Donation Time
I would be very interested to see the mods done to the upper floor pans and the particular shocks used . Any help would save me a lot of time in experimenting . I don't want to alter the trunk space and shelf for the spare tire but if the mods are all under the car ,well I can figure out how to best do that with one picture and the part # of the shock .

65beam

Donation Time
I would be very interested to see the mods done to the upper floor pans and the particular shocks used . Any help would save me a lot of time in experimenting . I don't want to alter the trunk space and shelf for the spare tire but if the mods are all under the car ,well I can figure out how to best do that with one picture and the part # of the shock .
The shocks would be the same ones that fit series 4 or 5 Alpines. The mod consisted of a flat bar of steel that fits underneath the area where the top mount of the shock is on a 4 or 5 with two holes drilled thru it. Nothing that needs to be engineered except for cutting the bar to fit the area. I would have to make some measurements of one of our other cars and make a cardboard template of where the holes are drilled The car is stored in a garage at a rental house and is surrounded by lots of various Sunbeam parts and I wouldn't even attempt to get to it until I get ready to haul it to the dipper.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is what I did using the stock holes, may help.
sunbeam1-L.jpg