• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pertronix ignition and electronic fuel pump?

john p

Donation Time
I'm considering a Pertronix ignition and an electronic fuel pump for my series 1. My goal is to get as dependable and easy to start as I can with a stock series 1 motor. Anyone have experience with a similar setup? Or is there a better setup then pertronix?

gordonra

Donation Time
When I still had the stock 4 cylinder, I replaced the points and coil with a Pertronix setup in my Series V. It was notably more reliable with the Pertronix, however I can't say that it was a great performer because everything else was worn out at the time. All in all I feel that it was very worthwhile for a relatively inexpensive and low/no maintenance upgrade.

Rich

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The stock fuel pump is more then adequate for the alpine engine, I would not replace the mechanical pump with an electric unless you also plan to install a fuel pump cut out module to kill power to the pump in case of an accident.

As for the pertronix, better than points but pretty much any other electronic ignition is going to be better and more accurate timing wise.
I dont want to be a broken record so if you want to know the details just search a ways back for topics of pertronix where I commented on "accuracy" relating to the rotor magnet placement.

chazza

Donation Time
I Or is there a better setup then pertronix?

Yes there is - get rid of the distributor altogether and run an ignition system timed off the crankshaft, such as Megajolt.

PM me if you want an article I wrote about converting my S1,

Cheers Charlie

Hodee

Donation Time
Hijacking the thread a bit, but...if my ser V is all stock and runs great, should I change to pertronix? I have one in the garage fairly new.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hijacking the thread a bit, but...if my ser V is all stock and runs great, should I change to pertronix? I have one in the garage fairly new.

No. Just carry a spare set of points and a condenser, which you will need even if you switch to the Pertronix. The points ignition really is fine for most Alpines. As I recall, a set of points is good for about 10,000 miles. That's probably five years of driving for most guys.

Bill

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Pertronix vs other ingnition systems

The stock fuel pump is more then adequate for the alpine engine, I would not replace the mechanical pump with an electric unless you also plan to install a fuel pump cut out module to kill power to the pump in case of an accident.

As for the pertronix, better than points but pretty much any other electronic ignition is going to be better and more accurate timing wise.
I dont want to be a broken record so if you want to know the details just search a ways back for topics of pertronix where I commented on "accuracy" relating to the rotor magnet placement.

RooesRacer, I recently read your post on the "accuracy" relating to the rotor magnet placement or Pertronix but after a number of searches on this forum, I haven't been able to call it up. I have used the descriptor "Pertronix" and "RootesRacer" but still fail to get the proper post. I have gotten the above post several time but not the one you refer to. Any suggestions on hot to find it?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
RooesRacer, I recently read your post on the "accuracy" relating to the rotor magnet placement or Pertronix but after a number of searches on this forum, I haven't been able to call it up. I have used the descriptor "Pertronix" and "RootesRacer" but still fail to get the proper post. I have gotten the above post several time but not the one you refer to. Any suggestions on hot to find it?

I am guessing I may have typed pertronics, thats my guess anyhow.

The issue is this, pertronix uses a single Hall effect sensor that is triggered by 4 independent magnets in the trigger "ring" that comes with the kit.
The placement of the magnets is rather critical and in the past, was not done so well. When the magnets are not exactly the same orientation, the same magnetic flux and the exact 90 degree angular offset, you end up with cylinder to cylinder timing that has a fixed or even variable error from cyl to cyl.
A proper electronic ignition uses a precision photo gate, or a precision machined tone-ring that effects the hall or VR sensor identically for each angular event.
When I formed my original opinion of pertronix, I had witnessed cylinder to cylinder errors of several degrees.
Of all the electronic ignition systems I have been exposed to, no single system has a worse fundamental design flaw.

Your better ignition systems (like OEMs) use a multi-tooth timing wheel (tone ring) and a VR (variable reluctance) sensor that triggers on the magnetic flux zero crossing point, which is the most accurate and most reproducible method to detect gear teeth.

Any system that uses a hall effect sensor will have an RPM based timing error (lag) due to the slower sensor switching characteristics compared to VR sensors.

HTH