• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Speedo cable routing

ceecpa

Donation Time
I'm routing the cable to the speedometer in our SV. Having failed to take proper photos on disassembly I now have to ask for guidance.

I think the cable should enter the cockpit on the right hand side. If it's routed to the driver's side in the engine compartment it seems likely to foul the steering box to idler link.

I put lube in the "new" overdrive transmission. I used engine oil + 1/2 pint of atf. In the process, I wiped the underside of the car with my clothes, my hair, my knuckles, and my knees as I reacted to the late summer desperation of the flies. Sheesh, I want a lift. But that's wimpy isn't it?

Just sign me,
Greasy and grinning - aka Chuck

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Find where the right side heater hose comes out of teh firewall. Drop down about 5", you will find you are about midway between two holes/ grommets. The one toward the outside is for the oil pressure line. The larger one, toward the inside- closer to the engine, is for the speedo cable. Then once the cable is inside, be sure to route it in a big loop, no kinks, no tight turns.

Tom

It's the gray cable going into the firewall , just below the metal clip holding the brake line against the firewall, seen in the second of Puff4's pictures here:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13957&page=7

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sheesh, I want a lift. But that's wimpy isn't it?
No, I do too. My neighbor has TWO, yes TWO electric ones in his garage. Says they cost him about $2k each installed. My garage is too low for one. I don't ask to use his because he is Roger Penske neat on steroids. Has a $100k+ Porsche and a 2 year old Corvette that still has the assembly chalk marks on the frame. No way I take Alpine up there, she would pee on the floor just out of spite. I hate being under cars...

mikephillips

Donation Time
Since from the way you put things I assume you've replaced a non OD with an OD, keep in mind that there were originally 2 different speedo cables, with the OD one a bit longer if my memory is correct.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Well, bringing this back alive. Recently installed my OD, all works great. New longer cable, new speedometer. Followed these instructions to a T, and still lost the transmission end of the cable yesterday. All lubricated, Nice straight lines and big loops. Put the old cable back in, still all straight lines and loops, and lost the transmission end on that again today. Cable has got a long loop straight out from the connection. Speedometer was reading spot on, +-2 anyway. Any other thoughts before I order a new cable

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The speedometer initially works for a bit, has a stable needle (not fluctuating up and down), and then the speedo cable breaks? How long is the setup working before the cable breaks?

Mike

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
OK Mike, thanks for the interest. Lasted maybe 5 miles or so. Got it figured out. Read in one of the previous posts about oil killing a speedometer, and I had oiled, not lubed my cable. I dismantled the speedometer and oil had gotten in the armatures etc. and froze the speedometer solid. Once I cleaned all the oil out, it now appears to be working great. (By the use of a power drill method anyway)
So, once again it was operator malfunction that caused the problem. Just call me Mr. DuMass.
I have to say it was nice having a spare speedometer to take apart and assemble a couple of times. I'll see how accurately I set the needle when I have a new cable.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
OK Mike, thanks for the interest. Lasted maybe 5 miles or so. Got it figured out. Read in one of the previous posts about oil killing a speedometer, and I had oiled, not lubed my cable. I dismantled the speedometer and oil had gotten in the armatures etc. and froze the speedometer solid. Once I cleaned all the oil out, it now appears to be working great. (By the use of a power drill method anyway)
So, once again it was operator malfunction that caused the problem. Just call me Mr. DuMass.
I have to say it was nice having a spare speedometer to take apart and assemble a couple of times. I'll see how accurately I set the needle when I have a new cable.
Bringing back alive what you previously brought back alive... Lol

I see that your speedo worked with the drill. Did things actually work correctly when you hooked everything back up and drove the car?

You described what I have just gone through....installed the OD...OD speedo...OD cable...SNAP and the cable is severed. I actually discovered it walking by the car in the garage. The speedo wasn’t working but I didn’t realize the cable was hanging lose.

I’m trying to avoid snapping another one. If you have any guidance to offer, I’d love to hear it.

Thanks

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tod,

I'd start by removing the speedo, insert a driver bit into its square connector and I think you should be able to spin the driver bit counter-clockwise by hand. If it won't spin, I'd disassemble the speedo and see what is going on inside.

Mike