• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Paper or Cork Valve cover

Ashfried

Donation Time
Just wondering what everyone is using, and which has the least leaks?

I have had cork, but about to change it. One guy told me to not use either, just use black liquid gasket... any thoughts?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The cork ones are not designed for the alloy valve covers, they are for the iron head engines with stamped covers. The cork ones will fit the mounting holes but are too thick for the correct studs that hold the valve cover to the head.

The paper ones would be the ones to use, but many are so old that they have shrunk and dont fit.

The best thing to do would be to make a gasket out of rubber sheet using the valve cover bottom as a template.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, the gasket material needs to be thin, just like the paper ones in the gasket set. I usually contact cement the gasket to the valve cover, and use NO liquid gasket at all to the head. You want to make the cover easy to remove and replace (without having to re-sealing it with liquid gasket) to make quick repairs anywhere, if needed.
Jan

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Second RR's comment on cork. I had a cork gasket and tried it and it was too thick. The valve cover sat too high.

I went with a paper gasket and no liquid gasket maker and it has sealed fine.

Mike

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just to mention another thing, I did have one valve cover that was leaking, which I never had a leak before. I removed the cover to inspect it and I saw some pretty rough machining grooves on the seal surface. So, using my lapping surface plate, I lapped that rough surface until it was pretty smooth (didn't take that long), re-installed the cover and it never leaked after that. So, if you have a pesky leak at the valve cover, you might try to lap the surface. Maybe using some valve grinding grit and a flat aluminum plate.
Jan