• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Towing a SV with rope / how ?

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Looking at the suspension (rear and front), I asked myself: where do I attach a rope for towing it to the next garage, in case of a break down in the middle of nowhere? Is there a "factory instruction" ?
(It is a 1966 Series V)
Thank's, Andy

mikephillips

Donation Time
Technically you could wrap one around the front cross member and tie it to the towing vehicle. However I would not recommend it at anything other than very slow speeds, short distances on unoccupied roads and with a driver in the car. Reason being, you're going to be close behind the tow car and if for any reason it stops and you're not prepared, you could end up in the back of the towing car. Plus, you may get stopped by police and ticketed for an unsafe practice. Unless you foresee being out in the middle of Montana or such your best bet is to have a smart phone with gps to lookup and call a service.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Years ago I towed my car using a chain and a 5 ft. pipe which kept a distance between it and the tow car. Easy enough to carry around a chain but the 5 ft. pipe is different.
It just is not safe to tow a car w/ a rope or chain; too many variables including unsafe movement tickets.
Try AAA, a real bargin when needed.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Try AAA, a real bargin when needed.

Amen on that! And, just in case everyone doesn't know this (I didn't until another member told me), AAA offers three levels of membership and the Basic level, called "Classic" in some states, only covers the first 3 miles of towing (I believe this is 7 in some states). It is well worth upgrading if you plan on driving your Alpine outside your neighborhood. Here is the summary from the AAA NY site:

Classic Membership—Towed without charge to the destination of their choice up to three driving miles in any direction from the point of breakdown.

AAA Plus®—Towed without charge to the destination of their choice up to 100 driving miles in any direction from the point of breakdown.

AAA Premier®—Towed without charge to the destination of their choice up to 200 driving miles for one Roadside Assistance service call per cardholder per membership year and up to 100 driving miles for the remaining service calls.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Something that hasn´t been mentioned, is the fact that towing an Alpine with a rope or chain, can lead to a bent up front valence. Don´t ask me how I know. Either use a tow dolly or call AAA. Better safe than sorry.

Jose