• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Before it's too late...

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
This is kind of an odd question, but my dream car has been a Shelby Cobra for years, then basically anything Shelby related up to the 70's, and I always wanted to get some Shelby part to have signed to hang on my wall until I was able to buy a Shelby vehicle (better start playing the Lotto) and it's of course too late now to do that. Anyways, my question is, is there anyway to get one of the Sunbeam guys to sign something for my car? I just kinda thought it'd be cool to have one of the guys responsible for the Alpine to sign an old advertisement I have, or a part I could ship out or something?

Thanks! -Kyle

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You might try Rosemary Smith. She was a very successful factory driver and there is some memorabilia featuring her still floating around.

We met her at SUNI VI. A real lady and character rolled into one rather tall package!

Bill

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
That's not a bad idea. I've heard about her a little, and I think she's in a couple YouTube videos? I found her driving school with a contact phone number and email so I'll give it a shot. I was also thinking about Ian Garrad, if he's still around or professor Tony Stevens too?

Thanks Bill!

-Kyle

Last edited:

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Jose

Lol! That's awesome... I really should buy one of his kits to have on hand for either a future project, or if I get fed up with this V8 install... Lol. Actually, the hard parts done, I'm just being cheap and not wanting to fork out $1,400+ for a tranny and still figuring out a couple other custom items. That's a story for another time though....

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I have three T5's and bought each for between $100-$150 each and had them recon'd for around $350 each. They are easy to find and reasonable to have them rebuilt properly.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
You're lucky. There's a guy here that somehow snags up all the local GT fox body Mustangs, then strips them down and sells the parts for quite a bit. He actually isn't bad on T5 prices, charging only $900 for a rebuilt, but for the past year I've only found 4cyl fox bodys in the wrecking yards, and craigslist hasn't helped me at all either.

I just need to be patient. I got into a bad deal with a house and property I bought in August, hoping to have a shop to work on my cars in, so once that's cleared up and I get my $30,000 (and counting for monthly payments to keep good credit) back, and cancel the contract, I'll have a nice chunk of change to help me get a few items crossed off my list.

-Kyle

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
"Anyways, my question is, is there anyway to get one of the Sunbeam guys to sign something for my car? "

What do you want signed? I'd be happy to do whatever. However, I doubt anyone would care. You might do better looking for a serial killer or other "person ignored by society" to sign something.

I'd like a "certificate" or something to verify my DarkSider is the first to use Jose's kit. The guy I bought it from and IIRC Jose have told me that. If you're listening Jose I bought it from Bob DeWitt. Is it number 1?

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Well after giving it some thought, I figured maybe just one of my Alpine magazine ads since it'd be easier to mail around. Ya I know not many people would care about it, but I'd be pretty happy putting it in a frame and displaying in my trunk during car shows.

"I'd be happy to do whatever." So are you someone who had a hand with the Alpine back in the day? I don't know much about many members' backgrounds on here... Lol.

Thanks! -Kyle

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Hillman,

I will testify that your Alpine was the very first Alpine to be modified with a V6 JOSE kit. When I made the kit, I only made two kits, because I didn´t know that there would be a market for them. I knew that everyone I showed my converted Alpine to, loved it, but that was it. The second kit was not used until many years later, but yours was the first to actually be completed.

I would love to sign anything you may put together that states that, but I don´t have any certificates that I can send you.

Jose

What do you want signed? I'd be happy to do whatever. However, I doubt anyone would care. You might do better looking for a serial killer or other "person ignored by society" to sign something.

I'd like a "certificate" or something to verify my DarkSider is the first to use Jose's kit. The guy I bought it from and IIRC Jose have told me that. If you're listening Jose I bought it from Bob DeWitt. Is it number 1?[/QUOTE]

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well after giving it some thought, I figured maybe just one of my Alpine magazine ads since it'd be easier to mail around. Ya I know not many people would care about it, but I'd be pretty happy putting it in a frame and displaying in my trunk during car shows.

"I'd be happy to do whatever." So are you someone who had a hand with the Alpine back in the day? I don't know much about many members' backgrounds on here... Lol.

Thanks! -Kyle

Kyle, can't determine who this is addressed to, but I'll answer anyway.

I don't think there is anyone who is active on the site that had any significant input on the fame and fortune of the Alpine "Back in the day".

I did buy a new "1963" Series II Alpine September of 1963 with a grease gun in the kit, which meant it was produced in the fall of 1960. But it seems few have any interest in that particular accomplishment.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I did buy a new "1963" Series II Alpine September of 1963 with a grease gun in the kit, which meant it was produced in the fall of 1960. But it seems few have any interest in that particular accomplishment.

Bill
If I ever get a grease gun for the tool kit I don't have, I promise to ask you to autograph it.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
I see. Well it was worth a shot (to me anyways) lol. I wasn't sure if maybe someone was on the forum, or if someone on the forum knew of any contact leads or anything....

Last edited: