• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mazda Engine Swap

robertf

Donation Time
got the shifter figured out in styrofoam. Next weekend I'll try some aluminum.

milling.jpg

shifter2.jpg

shifter1.jpg

robertf

Donation Time
Been a while, and it looks like 2 people have beat me at this swap, but I'm going to finish it anyway

Fired up the 1.6 for the first time the other night. Haven't run fuel lines yet so I used the 1725 car as a fuel supply. Hopefully I'll stick with it and be driving it in a few more weekends. Cooling system and driveshaft are the big items left.

miatarunning.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Lots of room in there....

Robert,

Nice going on the shifter!

Your shop looks like mine at times..... Lots of room to lay around and get the work done! And I now where everything is too!;)

Keep us posted on the progress.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
By all means continue to update us on your adventure. The more success stories, the more achievable it becomes.

Bill

robertf

Donation Time
miataexhaust.jpg

downpipe with the muffler slid over the rear.

It fits perfectly in the factory exhaust tunnel. Now I just need to weld up the rear section to clear the axle and dump the pipe in the factory location and I can cross it off the list.

robertf

Donation Time
took a brake from the engine install

subaru1.jpg

subaru2.jpg

1980 subaru gl wagon master cylinder.

It touches the steering box. I'm going to double up the firewall spacers and extend the push rod 9/16". Going from a 7/8" boosted system to a 13/16 manual. We'll see how it goes. If its too much pedal foce required a subaru brat is 5/8"

The factory pushrod, spring, and boot all drop in with a little bit of sanding around the retaining washer and some hogging out of the spacer ID

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The common wisdom is that bottom outlets will not work. Not saying that is completely true, but should give an indication that you are in for an "experience".

Not speaking from personal experience, just what other have reported.

Bill

robertf

Donation Time
interesting. Did the naysayers route the brake line above the master cylinder piston? I could see that causing a problem.

This master cylinder has bleeder valves on the side opposite the picture. Maybe that will help.

robertf

Donation Time
So that master cylinder does not work. I've had a hell of a time finding a f10 master, but I should have one by this time tomorrow

Fuel lines and driveshaft done. It was a good feeling watching the wheels turn powered by the mazda engine

still have lots to so before it's burnout time

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robert, nice looking driveshaft. Could you tell us about it?

You said you had decided to use the stock EFI, but that you were going to speed density instead of MAF. How did that work out?

At the beginning of this project, you promised this project would take a long time. That was over 6 years ago!! You sure made good on that promise, largely because you have not taken the easy way out and I congratulate you on that decision. Now that the installation is almost complete, what is next? Turbo of supercharger? Drive it or tear it down for a 6 year beautification project?

Me, I like to drive 'em. There is a special magic driving a car you have constructed, especially when it has been refined to the point it is superior in every way to the original.

Bill

robertf

Donation Time
The driveshaft was built by driveshaft king in dallas. All new parts, 1310 ujoint at the axle end and either a mazda or some dodge joint at the transmission. I can't remember what the guy said.

I'll probably just enjoy it for a while once it's running. I've got that other stock sunbeam that needs beautification along with a couple of other car projects.

Alpine66

Donation Time
Congrats on the progress, you are getting there.

I went with a dodge colt mc if memory serves, has two reservoirs and the outlets are on the drivers side. Fittings are m10s though, so am hunting for adapters.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robert, now that the installation is complete, do you think there would be enough room for the 1800 cc engine?

Just curious.

Bill

robertf

Donation Time
so the master cylinder fell through.

Looks like the dodge colt is going to have to do. A quick glance shows its availability is close to the f10

I attempted to plumb the clutch today, but the sunbeam clutch is 7/16-20, not 7/16-24. I cannot find these fittings anywhere and the cylinder on my other one leaked like crazy so I ordered a wilwood integral reservoir. We'll see how that works.

Shifter may need some tweaking, but it's hard to say without a working clutch.