• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Crank pulley

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If your engine was a 1592 then yes, that is correct.

If its a 1725, then no, you need the elastomeric damper pulley.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Before you buy it, make sure that there is not a split adjacent to the keyway. This is a notorious weak spot.

65beam

Donation Time
pulley

check the parts books. it's listed as a damper with pulley. my series 4 came with the harmonic balancer as factory equipment.

alpine_64

Donation Time
As Tony mentioned you really need to check if they have a crack in the keyway.. and almost all do these days.. also if it has a taper from wobbling around after cracking.

I would personally spend the extra $ and buy a repro one.. lucky you are stateside and there is an advertiser who used to be on the front page (RHP or something similar) who makes them in several specs, form stock to race application. Rootes post vintage in the NL also make an alloy one that can be with or without damper.

:

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
They have a model listed with a "special oil seal." Anyone have experience with this?

I bought the aluminum timing cover and damper kit from joesrestorationrescue.com, and it comes with the same BHJ damper. It works great with the aluminum timing cover, which is already modified for the Chevy oil seal. No leaks so far (in four months).

However, I have no experience modifying an original timing cover to fit a Chevy seal.

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gentlemen I went with the pulley posted above. I checked out the pulleys on BHJ and I will gamble with the 28 dollar pulley first before I spend over 200 bucks. If it is cracked or the key hole wore out then I'm just out 28 dollars.

Now I just have to come across the nut that holds it on. I wold like to have the special one that goes with the hand crank. I'm sure I can buy something from a hardware store for now to hold it on until then.

Henry Small

Donation Time
Many years ago my crankshaft pulley key way slot on my Alpine 1 needed to be re-cut to a new location. I took the pulley to a machine shop and they easily cut a new key way slot and the cost was under $20 (20 plus years ago) and took less than 5 minutes. If it is the right pulley for your car and the bore is ok the key way slot status should not be a major concern. Remember if you change key slot location the timing mark on the pulley for TDC will change.

Since the photo does not show the top of the pulley it is difficult to determine if it is really an Alpine pulley. From my review of the photo, I know it is not a Alpine 1 pulley and I would question if it is an Alpine pulley.

If you are willing to gamble that it is the right pulley for your car and the condition is ok spend the $18. You can always clean the pulley up if it is not the correct part and use it for a paper weight!

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I haven't seen many used pulleys that are still serviceable during an engine rebuild. Most of them need to be replaced. I wouldn't use anything BUT the BHJ Dynamics pulley. It is very, very nice.
(By the way, ALL Alpines used the harmonic damper. The one on Ebay came from a Rootes sedan. It will not absorb the crankshaft torsional vibrations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsional_vibration )
Jan