• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V GT V6 on eBay

RootesRich

Donation Time
There's something very odd with this car. Being it's in my backyard, I think I'll ask the owner if I can have a look in person.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The car looks good for the price, but the only drawback I can see, is the 2.6 V6 it has. The 2.6 is a good engine, but the parts for it are obsolete and expensive, if you can find them. For the price, it would be good to buy and install a 2.8 V6 in it´s place.

Jose

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Jose,
Are the motor mounts in the same spot? I assume the 2.6 to 2.8 wouldn't be an easy swap and that your kit will still be necessary.

The car says it has some sort of magical pixie dust that allows the V6 bell to be mated to the Sunbeam tranny.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It has been powered by a 2600 cc Mercury V-6 since 1977. I am probably the first person to do the Ford V-6 installation in an Alpine.

Is this claim accurate? Jose: when did you do your first? Chuck: How about you?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

This guy is about two years too late. He just doesn´t know that others thought about this swap way before he did. I diid mine in 1975, and don´t know if I was the first one to do it. It really doesn´t matter, just that the idea is a natural and therefore done many times. It makes a GREAT sports car.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Greg,

The 2.6 and 2.8 V6s are totally different. I think the rocker covers interchange and the bellhousing bolt pattern too, but I don´t think anything else does. Even the places on the engine block for mounting are different. To swap this little 2.6 V6 out for a 2.8 V6, would still require one of my kits. The swap would still be pretty simple, so wouldn´t cause any prblems to do it.

Apparently, they made an adapter plate to be able mate the Alpine transmission to the Capri bellhousing. It used to be used all the time to be able to mate two different drivetrains. Not really unusual.

Jose

Jose,
Are the motor mounts in the same spot? I assume the 2.6 to 2.8 wouldn't be an easy swap and that your kit will still be necessary.

The car says it has some sort of magical pixie dust that allows the V6 bell to be mated to the Sunbeam tranny.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
e bay

where did they find a series 5 GT? if i remember right,chrysler never sold this version in the states.

alpine_64

Donation Time
where did they find a series 5 GT? if i remember right,chrysler never sold this version in the states.

Bob,

If you read the description, it was a St and he didn't have the soft top so he used the rear panels from a SIVGT to enclose the back area... funnily enough someone on the board asked how to do this last week.. i never though anyone would convert a car that direction.. but here it is... ST to GT.. and wihout all the luxury.. just the inconvenience

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I guess I should've titled the thread Series V V6 GT-clone or some such. The seller says it has GT parts from a Series iV.

This car isn't in the registry, and the seller didn't photograph the VIN tag, so one can only guess B395010101 is just another LRX Series V that someone decided needed a little more back seat.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Bob,

If you read the description, it was a St and he didn't have the soft top so he used the rear panels from a SIVGT to enclose the back area... funnily enough someone on the board asked how to do this last week.. i never though anyone would convert a car that direction.. but here it is... ST to GT.. and wihout all the luxury.. just the inconvenience

This was what I thought was odd with the car all along, hence my original post. I contacted the seller who confirmed it was a "LRX" therefore it was converted. I see the description has since been modified to include the back portion has been converted to a GT (notice no dash or door panels). When I first pulled up the auction, no mention of this was made.

65beam

Donation Time
ebay

rich,
when i opened it up i saw no mention of it having been converted. that's why i mentioned where did it come from.

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
I too noticed it is not a GT. Only because I do have a SV GT . Door panels and dash the give-away. Nice looking car tho.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Just to clarify, the oddity for me wasn't just that it was a SV GT (the ST dash and door panels can be easily swapped), it was that the car is a LHD SV GT.
I know of only one factory LHD SV GT that exists. Granted there are a few LHD SV GT's, but they have been converted from RHD.

Interesting seller and being that he lives only 45 min away from me I wish I had known about him sooner. He mentioned in his e-mail to me that he was the first to run Chevy rods in Rootes engines.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time

I did mine in 1979,I never heard of Jose at that time.I think I had heard a bout his car but never knew him.I had a modified 2.6 and the engine was getting pretty tired around 2004/5.It was one heck of a fun car

Jon H

Donation Time
I am the new owner of this car. It looks and runs as advertised. The little 2.6 winds up quickly and is great fun up to 60 MPH. That said, it really needs a 5 speed to run on the freeway, and am considering swapping in a 2.8 and 5 speed. How've do I get ahold of one of Jose's kits?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jon,

Just drop me an email here on the forum, and I will give you all the info you need. Welcome to the dark side.

Jose

I am the new owner of this car. It looks and runs as advertised. The little 2.6 winds up quickly and is great fun up to 60 MPH. That said, it really needs a 5 speed to run on the freeway, and am considering swapping in a 2.8 and 5 speed. How've do I get ahold of one of Jose's kits?