• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith mushroom filter finish

Limey

Donation Time
Hello all,

I need your advice re zenith filters. I have heard that the original finish was silver crinkle. Is this correct? I cannot find silver crinkle here in the UK but have succesfully tested black crinkle with normal silver top coat.

Many thanks for your advice.

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver,

This car is a factory stock concourse car.. see if you can see what the finsih is.. I can ask the owner this week if you want.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe the original finish was Hammerite silver.

You should be able to esily find Hammerite in the UK, but here in the US it is much harder since some states will not allow the sale of products containing trichloroethane (which is the thinner used in Hammerite - not toluene like most other paints).

Rust-O-Leum is making hammered-finish paint now, but it's not Hammerite - it's like normal paint w/ toluene, and I don't know if the finish will look the same either.

The great advantage of real Hammerite is that it's very hard wearing and resists rust very well.

Limey

Donation Time
Shroom filters

Thanks Michael, if it's not too much trouble please ask him to confirm the finish he has.

Kevin, thanks for the advice, that sounds correct, there are some slight traces that could be a hammerite finish on my originals.

Much obliged and best regards,

Oliver