• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith Carb questions

Limey

Donation Time
Home brew! You are right. I have had this bit of junk for 10 years. Probably someone 'upgraded" o_O My knowledge of anything SIII and newer is zero. Even a SIII is too modern for me:D

But early series manifolds cannot be rare? I have five and there must be many many still bolted to old engines out there.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Had to send one to another mate in UK recently because he couldn't find an unmolested one. But agree there should be more out there waiting in dark and dirty garages :oops:

P.S. Recently I'm getting more interested in Series 3 's. We have 2 here in my area and they attract a lot of positive comments ( one black - ex Texas and a Dark blue - ex LA ) . Nice and combining the fins with proper trunks...

Limey

Donation Time
Had to send one to another mate in UK recently because he couldn't find an unmolested one. But agree there should be more out there waiting in dark and dirty garages :oops:

P.S. Recently I'm getting more interested in Series 3 's. We have 2 here in my area and they attract a lot of positive comments ( one black - ex Texas and a Dark blue - ex LA ) . Nice and combining the fins with proper trunks...

I agree - Fins and a boot. I like SIIIs and their rarity adds to the attraction

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Michael,

yes my manifold has the fuel drain hole (which I always close with a soldered brake nipple anyway). Wonder if there ever was any difference between S1/2 booster and S3 manifolds . Actually my strong believe is they were the same...

IMG_20191214_115259.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
I agree - Fins and a boot. I like SIIIs and their rarity adds to the attraction
I know you like original but i think the best hybrid ( well alpine based) would be a s3 with the boot and proper factory telescopic rear end and adjustable column and interior with SI/II style windscreen side windows and hardtop... Forget the soft top and you get the best of practicality ans style :)

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Michael,
Originality is OK as far as it goes. It is but one path of enjoyment but for those that will put a lot of miles on a car AND are keeping an Alpine on the road then why not. ;)

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Have actually never paid to much attention on S3 but the more I dig into them the more differences I find. Other than crossover between early and late series there were many specialties and parts which only came with S3...

65beam

Donation Time
Nice find Bend, wonder if the early S3 manifold is the same part as a SI/II booster manifold... Does your manifold have prevision for the little manifold drain? Im thinking that would be the identifier between a S3 manifold and the others...
FWIW, My parts book dated 03/63 covers series 1,2,& 3 and shows the only series 1 or 2 based car with a booster was the LeMans. It lists 4 intakes and the last one (part number 5220580) superseded the previous 3 intakes. If the last part number replaced anything previous and this book also cover series 3 wouldn't you think the last one to be for the series 3 with booster? I've looked thru my parts and the LeMans intake looks to be the same as the series 3 intake. The LeMans was introduced in October of 1961 and series 3 production started in January, 1963 so was Rootes already casting the intake for the series 3 or what other Rootes car of that era used a booster and the intake would fit the Alpine engine? I've never seen a series 1 or 2 other than a LeMans that had a booster as factory equipment. They used a .700 master and that doesn't require a booster. None of my early cars have provisions on the body for a booster. The use of a C/W booster on a LeMans required drilling additional holes in the inner fender to mount the booster. Anybody have a definite answer as to where the intake came from?

alpine_64

Donation Time
The booster iirc was optional on the early cars, never a standard fitting for Si/II but was optional before becoming stock for s3 ... I wonder if the optional one was a CDW booster...

65beam

Donation Time
The booster iirc was optional on the early cars, never a standard fitting for Si/II but was optional before becoming stock for s3 ... I wonder if the optional one was a CDW booster...
The same parts book shows an exchange unit for the LeMans booster so that would have been a C/W. The only other exchange booster listed is for the series 3. My parts book for series 1 only doesn't show anything concerning a booster. Did any Rapier of that time use a booster?