• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith Carb questions

Limey

Donation Time
Hi All

I have 3 pairs of Zeniths ,set up as below. Will be fitted to a 1600cc SII with mesh type air filters.

What are your opinion on the jet sizes below for the above use.

Pair 1
36WIP2 Mixture adjust at the base
1203338/1203337
110 jets
1693 F&R

Pair 2
36WIP3 Mixture adjust on the top plate
142 jets
1744F&R

Pair 3 - a bit weird in that there are no numbers stamped but each carb has a brass tag that says
36WIP(??) Mixture adjust on the top plate
1773F&R
120 jets

On earlier threads ther was a list (thanks to the original poster)

*S I Carb Venturi mm Main jet Idle
36WIP2 28 130 50

*S II 36WIP2 30 142 50
36WIP3 30 142 45
36WIA2 28 112 45
36WIP2 28 112 45

**Harrington
Lemans
36WIP2 28 150 45

***S 3 36WIP3 29 127 45
Thanks

Oliver
IMG_2079.JPG

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver,
all listed setups are correct in itself. As you found already there is a rather wide variety of Zeniths with different sized Venturi tubes and jets. Ultimately it depends which engine size and what kind of air filter applied. The proper one for a late 1600 S2 would be the 1744's with 142 mains (pair 2) . They should have 30mm venturis ( check with a light from the top). If I were you would put these for best power output in combination with the wire mesh airfilters...

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Thanks Bernd!

The trouble is set 1 and 3 are Nos so I would like to use them. Would it be OK to just put the 142s on set 1?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nope. Need to look it up in my big Zenith book again, but think pair 1 would run way too rich...

Limey

Donation Time
I'd like to get pair one set up as best as I can. They are on the restored HA and work fine but I would like to get the best power and I Guess 110 jets are not helping..

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Approach understood...
Very weird. My Parts schedule doesn't list any 1773's. Wonder what that brass tag means. Perhaps a later upgrade???
Anyway the 1693's are original equipment for the Rapier MK2 , 1500cc from 1959. Think they were run in combination with an oilbath or paper element air filter. So provided they still keep their 28mm venturis would run them with around 130 main jets in combination with your wire meshs...

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Bernd,

I have just purchased 8 x 140 jets and 2 x 150 jets. All old stock NOS and in Zenith bags. If you need any 140 jets let me know.

Happy to swap a pair of 140s for a pair of used 130s with you?

Oliver

Last edited:

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Beautiful setup Limey .... I especially was surprised to see the orig. brass? carb tags. ..... 'till the NOS mention!

.... David

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
What air cleaners did the LeMans use .... "Bug Catchers"? .... I'm enamored with your cars color ... a wonderful choice ... A blue is the only color I've never had on a vehicle and one I plan on for my SV

..... David

65beam

Donation Time
What air cleaners did the LeMans use .... "Bug Catchers"? .... I'm enamored with your cars color ... a wonderful choice ... A blue is the only color I've never had on a vehicle and one I plan on for my SV
These photos shows the original air filters for our red LeMans and the second shows the same filters on our white 110_0723.JPG
..... David
105_0001.JPG

Limey

Donation Time

..... David
Hi David,

Have a peep at the Harrington site. There are some recent posts and pics of lake blue Harringtons. I love the colour. The next best colour is Pippin Red. A beautiful warm deep red. It was a Rootes colour at the the time and theoretically you could have spec'd your Alpine or HA in it as a special order. The other colour is Gunmetal silver metallic, available on late SV cars.
Oliver

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks for the info ... I noticed the provision for a booster on the intake mani ... what year with the zeniths were these available on as I would like to acquire one for my 62 so I can keep the zeniths.

..... David

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Lots of movement here. So let's get it sorted:

Oliver: Just checked my stocks but unfortunately no 130's at the moment. But just a matter of time. Instead you may consider to bore up your smaller ones. As far as I noticed all bores are in mm which means for example 130 stands for 1.3mm

Lake Blue is truly a superb and rare colour. Still regret that I didn't buy an original S2 in that tone which was offered to me earlier.

To David: The parts manual is not very specific for the early manifolds. Anyway my theory is that the one with the brake booster vacuum take off was introduced once it became offered as an accessory option for the early series. Naturally it was STD on the HLM and became STD later with the S3...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Olivers car is beautiful, and the engine bay is the equal of any.... But that photo reminds me of when i ran zeniths and always had to clean the manifold and carbs where they weep fuel..... Oliver... When are you going to go hartwell stage 4 ans put on 2x40dcoe.... That way beauty, power and simplicity... And also correct for hartingtons ;-)

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Welcome. If you don't have one with vacuum take off just keep watching eBay offerings. They are coming up from time to time...

Limey

Donation Time
The Vacuum take off is a simple tapped hole that can be done to a standard manifold providing you have a suitable tap

Limey

Donation Time
I see now. You are right. I have this manifold. 1 tap for servo (booster) and one for crank case emissions. Not factory standard.

Attachments

• IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 26