• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith 36 WiP - 3 Carbs

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Think the throttle bodies only oval out if there is too much play in the spindles. Also the bushes rarely ever wear since they are Cast and way harder than the brass spindles. Never had to change Butterflies though. The fuel weeping at the bottom can be cured with new lining / olives. No Rocket sience and can only underline beamdreams 2c...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Think the throttle bodies only oval out if there is too much play in the spindles. Also the bushes rarely ever wear since they are Cast and way harder than the brass spindles. Never had to change Butterflies though. The fuel weeping at the bottom can be cured with new lining / olives. No Rocket sience and can only underline beamdreams 2c...

Bernd, they don't just keak from the olives.... I know you are a fan of the Zenith's, and that's fair enough, but the majority of people over the years have not been satisfied with them.... And as I mentioned they had their issues in period ( mentioned in the period road tests and more importantly in the long term evaluation articles when the cars were a few years old)

You can get them to work well, but they are a more problematic option than others and harder to find parts and rebuild than other setups. If someone wants to use them it can be done... But it's not the easiest setup.... But they are the original setup for the cars .

RootesRooter

Donation Time
You're right, a Weber isn't infallible. The Weber on my wife's SV is having an identical problem to yours with dying at stoplights. It also has a bad accelerator pump, so I'm hoping that replacing that will miraculously kill two birds. But in between initial acceleration and stopping, it cruises soooo smoothly.

The problem is my Weber no longer stays in tune. I have tuned it over and over getting it working beautifully. Then, within 50 to 100 miles, it dies at a stop light. You have to pull the choke out to get the Revs up so it won't die while waiting for the light.

I think the idle screw and throttle screw are worn to the point that they will not stay set and back out over time with vibration. So, I either need to purchase a new Weber or something else. I don't like the Weber because all the adjustment screws are inboard next to the hot engine and manifold. It is difficult to get screwdrivers in there and it is hotter than blazes. Dual carbs like the original Zeneths or something similar where the adjustments are outboard of the hot engine and manifold seem like a good idea to me.

At this juncture, not being terribly knowledgeable about these things, I am looking for alternatives. So, any good suggestions would be appreciated.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Fan of Zenith's or not I'm just trying to help those individuals who like to stay with their original setup . ..

alpine_64

Donation Time
Fan of Zenith's or not I'm just trying to help those individuals who like to stay with their original setup . ..

I applaud that .... And I know how you offer help and support on many topics across various boards, always appreciated.

I think your advice on what can be done to rebuild the Z's is good, but does leave out a few points and makes it sound a little easier than it can be , especially depending on the condition of the pair you start with.

Mine are still sitting in a box from when I took them off the car.

Personally despite the convenience and practicality of the Weber dgv, I think they look horrible compared to the twin setups. The Stromberg carbs are probably a good twin setup, the dcoe setup is great once right, but not ideal for everyone... I have a period Alexander conversions SU setup which I'd like to try one day...

attachment.php

attachment.php

And before you respond bernd .. I know you don't like/ trust CD carbs :D

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Those Pictured.....

alpine_64, Those look just like a pair I have on my Volvo B18 (P1800 Volvo Coupe).

alpine_64

Donation Time
alpine_64, Those look just like a pair I have on my Volvo B18 (P1800 Volvo Coupe).

Dan, twin SU carbs were common factory fitment on many sports cars particularly in the 50's to 70's, mg, jag, Volvo, Healey, mini cooper, spitfires.

Alexander conversions were a period uk tunning company and race prep shop. They offered bolt on carb setups for many cars. They produced twin su conversions for iron head rootes motors in minx and earlier rapirer. They then offered twin su setups for the alloy head rapier and alpine. They then produced variations on the manifold for the alloy head rootes motor with mounting for su or... Twin 150 Stromberg carbs 1.5 years before rootes fitted them to the series V.

Last edited:

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
I applaud that .... And I know how you offer help and support on many topics across various boards, always appreciated.

I think your advice on what can be done to rebuild the Z's is good, but does leave out a few points and makes it sound a little easier than it can be , especially depending on the condition of the pair you start with.

Mine are still sitting in a box from when I took them off the car.

Personally despite the convenience and practicality of the Weber dgv, I think they look horrible compared to the twin setups. The Stromberg carbs are probably a good twin setup, the dcoe setup is great once right, but not ideal for everyone... I have a period Alexander conversions SU setup which I'd like to try one day...

attachment.php

attachment.php

And before you respond bernd .. I know you don't like/ trust CD carbs :D

They are nice pair indeed :D
bd

alpine_64

Donation Time

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
We've just started to come into an 'originality issue' here in South Australia with carbs. Our Historic Registration scheme makes it very inexpensive to register and insure our Alpines (and other classics). However, the rules around originality are getting tighter and tighter. In the early days twin DCOEs got through, but not any more. Twin CD Strombergs seem to be OK for all series at the moment, but I wonder for how long. So a trusty set of down-draught Zeniths (at least on the shelf ready to go) is a good investment for us early series folk in South Oz.

Thanks to those that have posted sources for gaskets, kits etc. Always good to know where parts can be found.

Cheers,
Paul.
WIP-3 Zeniths, bushed and synched - happy!

marcusm2

Donation Time
Can strongly recommend the axel's that Bernd_st can provide for the zenith carbs. The new axels will fit perfectly and they made a big difference on my car that had a lot of play in the old ones :) / Marcus M sweden

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Marcus, thanks for your positive feedback.
Happy to hear you mastered to install the spindles properly making your early original Zenith setup perform the way they were intended...