• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

ZDDP lowering engine noise?

mferris

Donation Time
I recently put Valvoline 20w50 in my 1725 and then after a few weeks added a bottle of ZDDP.

While not measurable/d - I would swear that it made the engine sound better at idle.

Noting what ZDDP actually does, I could understand if it actually had an audible change - but have others had the same experience or am I looking at an over ambitious cause-effect?

-M

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, there certainly seems to be SOMETHING that makes a difference. Several have commented on how their engine just seems to run smoother and more quietly with Rotella 15w40 than their previous oil. Not that I'm pushing Rotella, but as an example where others have noticed the same phenomenon.

Bill

pcmenten

Donation Time
Mike, that's an interesting observation. What form did the ZDDP additive come in? GM EOS, STP Oil Treatment in the blue bottle, or other?

Both the GM EOS and the STP are very viscous oils. I don't know if that's a factor, but just curious to hear what your additive was like.

Paul

RootesRacer

Donation Time
STP will often soften bearing and sometimes cam and rocker noise.

STP will also slow down the bleed on hydrolic lifters, which often will result the automatic adjustment nature acting wonky (periodic noise, then quiet then repeat).

I like STP just so long as you arent using it to jack up low oil pressure readings.

65beam

Donation Time
noise

ZDDP is available at any auto parts. it's sold in various sizes but around ohio I see it in 8 oz and 16 oz bottles.

mferris

Donation Time
I did not use STP - but not sure what brand I had found (bottle is gone). It was the clearest marketed bottle of ZDDP (not something else) that I could find at AutoZone. No idea what, if anything else, was in it.

There were several bottles of things that claimed "like/better/includes ZDDP" - so I focused on getting something that looked more technical than marketing.

-M

65beam

Donation Time
Zddp

the local store here keeps it with the oil, not with the additives. you may have to ask for it which is what we need to do at the local NAPA.

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
Same experiance

I used some of the additive like a led substitute once just to help with the upper cylinder lube idea but i really was shocked i noticed an over all smoother and better running engine...
I was wondering if the lead sub stuff is similar to ZDDP.. had not time to look closer at this...
Any thoughts?

Chaz