• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

ZDDP and gear oil

bkasl

Donation Time
Any concerns about using engine oil recommended by the manual ( i use 30 wt non detergent for OD use) and the lack of ZDDP for todays oil purchase? Have been told by local british clubbers Brad Penn is a very good oil with the correct ZDDP added and also Valvoline ZRI racing oil for the engines. Brent

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mentioned Brad Penn oil? Reads like it was written by Brad Penn. Like so many publications, they support their advertisers. Totally ignored the option of using Diesel rated oils. For most of us, that is the best option. Probably holds true for racers, too.

Bill

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I spotted a bottle of ZDDP additive at a parts house and asked why not use Rotella T.

Response was that Rotella T no longer carries the ZDDT. Something about cat converters and new standards for diesels ... ??

Parts guy maintained that white bottle Rotella T is without the additive, but older yellow bottle Rotella T has the additive.

I noticed that Hicks Oils now sells "Collector's Choice 20W-50" motor oil. The Hicks oil label indicates inclusion of ZDDP but does not reference the amount.

This oil is expensive, but appears to be marketed point blank to resolve the ZDDP issue.

www.hicksoils.com