• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Yet Another Weber Question

serIIalpine

Donation Time
How completely should the float shut off the flow of gas to my carbs?

I'm having a problem with my front carb flooding and I'm not sure if it's a fuel pressure issue or if my float bowl jet is stuck a bit open.

At 3psi it trickles by at 1.5-2 it drips slowly but surely. This is with my finger holding the floats in the top position.

Thanks

Eric

'62 SerII
Weber dcoe40s

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Eric,

I am not certain, but I'm fairly sure that the float should close the needle valve so that no flow occurs until the fuel chamber level drops. Have you ever replaced the needle valve? The pressure that you recorded does not seem excessive for the DCOE's either. As a test, you could try a pressure regulator to see if that helps.

Good luck,

Regards, Robin.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Flow should stop completely else an electric pump would flood the engine.
Your needle and seat are probably shot.

3 psi is too high, go no higher than 2 psi.
Most weber applications show 1.75 PSI as the correct pressure.

Always use a GOOD regulator with webers.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I have the weber pressure regulator and I was having a problem with the pressure fluctuating but I'm thinking now that that may have had something to do with the needle and seat letting gas by.

I'll replace the needle and seat today and see what happens.

The car ran great yesterday afternoon and crappy last night.

Thanks

Eric

'62 SerII

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I took my needle and seat to the local weber guy and he said it was only dirty and sure enough there was a tine litle piece of crud right at the mating point of the needle and seat.

I took it home and cleaned both and now all seems well.

I put in a paper element filter in as a double precaution.

Moving on to another project I tried to take off the cap base on the expansion tank and promptly broke off a bolt head.

I have a nice set of German made easy outs now!

Eric

'62 SerII

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Eric,

Great to hear that you found the problem. I am running two filters on my Alpine which is probably a bit of over-kill (one before the electric pump and one before the Dellorto's), but so far no fuel problems.

Regards, Robin.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
While the car seems to be running very well now I have been fighting with either a buggy fuel pressure regulator and/or fuel pressure gauge.

I have a oil filled gauge that is very inconsistent in it's readings. I have read sales lit. that states that gas filled gauges (as opposed to oil filled) give more consistent readings in a hot engine compartment.

Is this true?

Thanks

Eric

'62 SerII