• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Yeah AAA... Booo Lucas, Prince of Darkness

RootesRacer

Donation Time
>My guess on C/R is 9:1

Before or after the vizard mod?

Ok I'll base my answer assuming your CR is 9/1 (though I'll bet you its somewhat lower).

The stock alpine dizzy will have a 12 or 13 weight (check, they are stamped) in the mechanical advance, which yields 24 or 26 degrees of mechanical advance at the crank.

With 9/1 CR you want no more than 32 degrees total advance, which should be all done my 3200 RPM.

The thing to do is to mark your timing wheel at 32 and adjust the dizzy till you get your 32 degrees at max advance, noting what RPM it quits moving.
Then at idle, you will probably see the timing at 6 to 8 degrees, assuming the dizzy is not hosed. So to be clear, set your timing at high RPM, not idle.

Based on your stock dizzy, this will get you proper ignition timing at max power, but you will be retarded (no pun intended) in the light cruising area since your dizzy is not curved for pure mechanical advance.

Now you get extra credit if you can prove that the notch on your timing cover is accurate.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Now you get extra credit if you can prove that the notch on your timing cover is accurate.[/QUOTE]

I would assume that it is not.

Remember, my Vizzard mod is quite slight and I've planed the head to within 1mm of the wear limit.

Thanks

Eric

'62 SerII

alpine_64

Donation Time
Eric,

regarding your 3 progression holes... perhaps the tops of your carbs were changed at some point, perhaps the num,bers are nto for your carbs.. are they a matched pair?

I had a friend whose bmw 2002 we set up on 45 DCOE's.. and someone had switched the top plates at some point so intially we thought we ha da set of miss matched carbs

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael,

The progression holes are in the bottom case, not the top.

Jarrid,

I know where the progression holes are.. what i am saying is the numbers are stamped on that top plate.. ehich can be changed bewteen different carbs.. so its quite possible the numbers on erics do not actually realte to the carb body where the progression holes are.

This is what my friends carbs had.. incorrect top plates for the carbs.. so intially we though a mis matched pair.. but was just the wrong top plate.. hence numbers..

i'm suggesting perhaps erics top plates are not correct.. hence he is providing a number that does not correlate to the actual spec of the carb...

does that sound clearer in writting.. seems to sound more convoluted in text than in my head :p

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Jarrid

The progression holes are under #70 on the PDF I sent you.

Eric

'62 SerII

Where all progression holes are...

Your dwg doesnt show the qty of holes for the 18s, anyhow it doesnt much matter because you can tune around that with the idle jets.

The more I think about it now, your "weak" bottom end probably has a lot to do with your distributor curve and lack of timing at low revs.