• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

WWI Dawn Patrol event (Dayton OH)

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I was working this event all weekend. I was walking the WWI replicas on the taxiway (they are tail draggers and they cannot see directly in front, so they rely on us giving them hand signs, to go straight, or turn left or right, and so on)
Here's a group picture of some of the participants ( I'm in the blue shirt). We posed in front of a 1917 Sopwith Triplane with authentic rotary engine.
Cool isn't it?
group_outside.jpg

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The guy in the lime shirt in the back row is Stephen Cox, professional racer and announcer on ESPN. He did the announcing there at the event. He is very, very good. I wish I had his voice.
http://sopwithmotorsports.com/id7.html
Stephen is very serious WWI historian/researcher. He has researched and now has proof of what happened to American ace Frank Luke (Luke was shot down, but no trace of his airplane or himself was found)

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Here's a shot of the Triplane and they were attempting to start the rotary. It ran on a prime, but thats all.
triplane.jpg

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Big is beautiful

The bigger the RC model the more beautiful it is. This Fokker Triplane is slightly bigger than 1/3 scale (about 37% scale). They had over 100 models, plus about $5M in antique autos of the period. Plus, about 50 reenactors in military uniforms.
P1010629.jpg

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Fokker Triplane

Here's the full size Fokker Triplane powered by Warner radial engine (beautiful sound)
P1010591.jpg

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Here's a quick & dirty video that I made from these wonderful digital cameras:
http://janswerks.com/aircraft/dp07/DP07_fri.asf

I helped this Fokker D8 owner/builder with the multi-colored camoflage on the fuselage. I provided color chips (much like the Rootes color chips that I make) and the color pattern scaled to 70%.
A 27 year old woman built the aircraft. Cool isn't it? She did a great job.
gwen_d8.jpg

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Biplanes

Just going up in thise aircraft took some nerve.

I am always in awe of the courage of the pilots who fought in those planes. At least WWII aircraft offered the pilots some protection around them and, even when the plane was crippled, the pilot had some chance of survival.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Absolutely, it took tremendous courage to go up day after day while thinking today could be my last.
This event is a great way to experience "Living History", and it doesn't get as much advertisement as it should. Please try to come to the next event and tell your friends about it.
Jan

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Jan
Is that the light blue or darker blue
You sure seem to always have fun things to do.
I think working on the cars must get in the way for you fun times.
Love the models.Used to do them way back when
I have been thinking about getting back as there are a few RCs around that my son never got around to building.
Hey I think that will make winter interesting

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Chuck,
I enhanced the Sunbeam letters on my hat in Photoshop, so they can stand out more. Well, here's a picture after processing the image better. It's amazing what detail comes out with just a little contrast enhancement :D
jans_hat.jpg

Nickodell

Donation Time
Just going up in thise aircraft took some nerve.

I am always in awe of the courage of the pilots who fought in those planes. At least WWII aircraft offered the pilots some protection around them and, even when the plane was crippled, the pilot had some chance of survival.

And only the Germans had parachutes.