• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wtf?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barb and I took it out for a rather extended drive around town and adjoining countryside. It ran pretty good, did some minor tuning and when we parked it, I was pretty happy with the tune.

Now we wait to see what happens over the next week or so.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, it still is not stable.

Taking several short drives, seems like every time we fired it up, it got a little worse. This is based on driveability, I had resolved to not pay any attention to the O2 meter, so the laptop had not been hooked up.

We did some tuning last night, it was mostly rich, from idle up to 3,000, but was spotty, as there was a big lean spot. Idle Lambda had migrated from 1.2 to .87! It seems that, depending on the day, there are two tunes that give good driving. One leans it out about 5%. Today we will be running the "lean" tune.

Anyway, we will driving it about 200 miles today. This is a scheduled car club outing, sort of wish I could stay home so I could see the effect of the auxiliary fuel line. Will do a periodic log throughout the day, see what happens.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We got through the day. Started out running bad. The ambient temperature was low and I did not know what influence that may have been making. However, it warmed pretty quickly, but the engine was lumpy all day long. The outing was a tour and we were the leaders. The route was complex over VERY secondary roads. The name of the tour was "A Ride On The Rustic Side" and everyone said it lived up to its billing. We were too preoccupied to mess with any logging. Suddenly, the last five miles of the trip it ran fine. By then, I was too tired to mess with it.

Maybe today.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Do you still have air in your return lines?

Haven't checked lately.

I took the situation to the point there were many fine bubbles, but they gradually disappeared instead of forming large bubbles. I'm hoping we can do some further investigating this afternoon. Plan to do some driving with the auxiliary return line in place and pinch it off to see if that impacts the tune, also visually evaluate the bubble situation. This is contingent upon the availability of Barb.

Also will do some data logging.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It seems we had plans I was not aware of.

I was able to do a little data logging. Enough to discover the main problem was me. After the last tune (1500 to 3000), it did not like to come off idle, so I engaged the Acceleration Enrichment function. Had it set way to sensitive, was kicking in with the slightest throttle movement. So I did the only rational thing, shut off the Accel Enrich.

To compensate, I changed the idle/off idle settings as well as ignition advance. It now has more idle rpm advance and less high vacuum advance. A little more logging reveals about a 3% variation in injector PW over a 7 second period of time. At 2000 rpm, injector PW variation seems to be nil.

But there is something going on that I cannot get a handle on. In order to maintain an idle speed in the 750-800 rpm range, throttle plate opening has decreased from 3% to 0% over the past few weeks. Dialed it back for the third time tonight. I checked the manifold bolts after the second dial back, everything was tight.

Bill