• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

WTD: opinions on replacement windshields

kenny_ii

Donation Time
I finally put the windshield back in my Series V (which started this madness again) and after three days it just cracked, top to bottom right in the middle. Since I am now in the market for a windshield, I see Victoria British and Sunbeam Specialties both have windshields in stock. Has anyone used either, or have specific knowledge about which is better? I'm cheap, but if the SS one is better enough to warrant the higher price, then I'll go that route. Any help is appreciated.

Tim

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Tim,
I'd go with whatever vendor will stand behind their product, with respect to fit. Folks who have had personal experience with their product, even. That might narrow the field.

Just as important as the vendor question is: why did it break? Are the wedges used at the ends of the frame still around?

Even though it's time-consuming, you may want to fit a used windshield first, to see if you have the issue cured.

Forgive me if you've already been through all this before, and I just missed it...

Ken

kenny_ii

Donation Time
Ken,

I don't really know what wedges you are refering to. I took the windshield frame off and put it back on 5 years ago, but I don't recall any wedges. I'm pretty sure I was the first to remove it, and I try to pay attention to stuff like that. I don't remember my Rootes manual mentioning them either. Are these adjusting shims or something?

Tim

Derek

Donation Time
windscreen

I replaced my SV windscreen with one from VB. It has some optical distrotion in the bends, I don't know if SS's version has the same or if the original had the same. Other than that it has been fine. I would get all of the rubber from SS though as it is formed and one peice and the VB items are not, this makes installation of the VB parts a real pain. I know of the adjusting wedges but my car ( a very late SV ) did not have them. My hard and soft tops fit OK but I can see were these could fine tune the fit. I'm going to get some when I get around to paint time.

Good Luck, Derek

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Tim,

Here a link to one thread about this. (search by windshield+wedge)

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10482&highlight=wedge+windshield

The last time I saw any in person was 30+ years ago, but I think they're about 1/2 inch wide, maybe 2.5" long, with two 1/4" holes about 1.75" apart. I cannot recall if they're steel, aluminum, or rubber-coated unobtanium.

Note that alternate methods are stacked washers, and an adjustable nut affair from SS.

Like folks said in the thread above, they go at the outside mounting bolts for the windshield frame, to even things up with respect to body variations. If the shape of your car necessitates their use, and they're not used, I could see that tightening the windshield frame down (to slightly compress the gasket, for example) at the ends could lead to undue stresses in the glass, causing it to crack at the high point of its support. (This may not happen until road flexing comes into play.)

If you check the fit between the door "wings" and the frame, from top to bottom, is it uniform and tight? Or is it wide at the bottom and tight at the top? I suppose it's possible that others in the past have adjusted the door wing frame, and subsequently the window fit and the soft top fit to match a windshield that is raked too far back, so this gap investigation should not be viewed as the final word on the subject.

I'm getting ready to do a soft top/hard top/tonneau/windows/doors adjustment project myself, and I'd be interested in knowing what the "right" angle is between, say, the interior door sill and the windshield frame. Knowing what it was supposed to be would help align all the adjustable bits aft of that point.

Good luck, and keep us posted with how things are going.

Ken

65beam

Donation Time
windshields

we installed a VB windshield in our series 5 two weeks ago with no problems. it has no distorted areas .looks real good

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
windshield

Kenny, I am a S-II owner and the V may be diffrent,but, I had to cut small notches at certain points in the seal,to compensate for the space the screws needed when the frame is assembled.
Good luck

howard

Donation Time
I ordered a windshield from SS a couple of years ago, and they had two different kinds- one made in Japan, and one made with the Triplex logo for the original British-look. (But I was informed that, as far as anyone knew, the Triplex windshield could've been made in Japan... or China... or anywhere.) I chose to save some bucks and got the off-brand. WORKS GREAT.

I wouldn't order something like a windshield or other major component from VB. They're OK for small stuff, sometimes. I did order the frame-to-body seal from VB... and threw it in the storage building, never to see light again. The SS seal is curved to fit. A much better product. And whatever you do- compare prices between vendors. (Get your catalogs out and compare the difference in price for the turn signal plastic spring replacement!)

AlpineII

Donation Time
A few years ago neither SS or CS had windshields for a SII available and I was able to find a source in the US and order directly from them. I am trying to find the detailed info right now but it was less expensive that either of our favorite suppliers.

I'll look around tonight and post back if I can find the contact info.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I can tell you that when I bought a new windshield about 15 years ago, I had trouble installing it. I found the glass thickness was actually a bit thinner than the original one I took out. I was told then that everyone had the same stuff, and it was from South Africa. I put the original back in and it all fit fine. But the new thinner one it, and had the problem. I ended up having to modify some of the stainless to make it fit. Not a pleasant decision. But, I didn't have a choice then. Glad it seems that issue is long gone.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I ordered a windshield from SS a couple of years ago, and they had two different kinds- one made in Japan, and one made with the Triplex logo for the original British-look. (But I was informed that, as far as anyone knew, the Triplex windshield could've been made in Japan... or China... or anywhere.) I chose to save some bucks and got the off-brand. WORKS GREAT.

Don't know about the Triple X Windshield for the Alpine, but according to Moss Motors which supplies XXX glass for the MGB, they are made from the original tooling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF1u....html&feature=player_embedded&utm_source=text link&utm_medium=mgbtriplexpage&utm_campaign=mosstv

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I have had little to no experience fitting a windscreen, but by what I have heard from a local member as has already been stated there are two available from different manufacturers. Apparently, one of the windscreens are thinner than the other which has led to cracking on installation and easily crack when a stray stone may get flicked up. It may be worth while asking about the thickness of the glass as well (compare it to the original glass) and if worried about a warranty, get them installed by a professional.

Regards, Robin.