• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

WTD: Opinions on replacement pistons

kenny_ii

Donation Time
I've read through the archives and can't really find much on this. My SV needs a .030 overbore to clean up the damage from the head gasket leak. Anyway, it seems there are a lot of pistons out there. I found a good price on a set from Classic Garage, but they are shown as 8.5:1. Some vendors hint at quality issues from 'other' suppliers, but that's pretty vague. I'm looking to keep close to stock on the CR, get decent quality and not spend a fortune. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Not sure if I would buy pistons from someone that doesnt have or know the correct CR for the car.

CR BTW should be 9.1 to 9.2/1 depending on displacement.

The most common pistons for rootes cars are AE (Alexander Engineering), which are OEM pistons.

These tend to be decent quality, they are cast aluminum of 70s technology and thus can have internal voids and the like.

If you are building a stocker, the AE pistons are just fine.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
When I did the rebuild on my 1725, it had to be bored .30 over due to ovaling of the cylinders. I got stock pistons with the correct compression ratio from Sunbeam Specialties. They were somewhere in the $300 range for all 4 and came with rings, wrist pins and clips. I thought they were a pretty good deal at the time. Car has about 4,000 miles on it now with no issues. To get a little more out of the engine, send your cam to Delta and get a KB grind. The regrind and refacing of the lifters cost just under $100 (including shipping).While you're at it, have the ports on the head cleaned up a bit and opened to the dimensions of your intake & exhaust. Actually makes a nice difference.
Best $ $I ever spent!
Cheers!
Steve