• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

WTB Battery condition Gauge

philt

Donation Time
My 67 Alpine continues with its little surprises. Currently has a Battery Condition gauge that is intermittent.
Charging system checks out so lets replace this . Not much concerned about be exactly correct 'Volts" meter since this is a driver not a "points " car.
Where can I find a replacement Jeager/ Smiths Battery Condition gauge?
Phil in Nashville

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Phil, I do not know what you mean by any of this. Almost no car has a "battery condition gauge" . Originally Alpines offered an Ammeter option. I assume that what you have now. You say the gauge is "intermittent" and also state that the charging system "checks" . How did you "check" the charging system? An Ammeter is your fist check and if it is indicating something intermittent, most likely the charging system- Alternator, Regulator, relay,- is intermittent. Pretty uncommon (but not impossible) to have a simple Ammeter be "intermittent". An Ammeter, when wired in correctly, will tell you if the Battery is charging or discharging, mainly telling you if charging system is working. It requires some interpretation to understand the "condition of the battery " from this.

Installing a Voltmeter, instead of an Ammeter (wiring is different, of course) will tell you different information. It will tell you if the battery has a charge, normally about 12 to 13 volts, even before you turn on any lights or start the car. And once the car is running, it will tell you if the charging circuit is working by showing voltage about 14 to 15 volts. But you wont really know the "condition of the battery" until, for example, you turn off the motor and see if the battery has held the charge and will start the motor.

Some people prefer a Voltmeter because an Ammeter is wired "in series" with all the electrics (except the starter) and if the Ammeter fails "open" you lose all power.

Tom

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Battery condition gauge is just another name for a voltmeter.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Phil: A Lucas ammeter was offered as an option. It looks just like the Jaeger/Smiths gauges. Here is on example currently on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucas-Amme...508566?hash=item23cc10cd56:g:4AEAAOSw6SNd5W9u. There are also 35 Amp versions out there, along with 50 Amp ones that look very similar, but not identical.

As Tom noted, many prefer Voltmeters (aka Battery Condition Gauges) because they have full current passing through them and are thus safer. There are many inexpensive generic gauges that look 'sort of' similar. Here is one example: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...8-P?navigationPath=L1*14933|L2*15026|L3*16002. However, if you want something that matches, I believe one of these is your only option: http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/jaeger-voltmeters.25222/#post-192135

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul,

I understand that some voltmeters are marketed as "battery condition indicators", but I have never heard of nor seen a Jeager / Smith gauge labelled as such, and was trying to understand what Phil was experiencing.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ok I left out Jim AKA Blackdog sells the voltmeter and the AMP meters . They fit and look like they belong. I used to get an Autometer one that a fellow members refaced to look more like a stock one.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul,

I understand that some voltmeters are marketed as "battery condition indicators", but I have never heard of nor seen a Jeager / Smith gauge labelled as such, and was trying to understand what Phil was experiencing.

Hi Tom: I have had this battery condition meter installed in Ol' Blue for more than 30 years. Petebattery meter.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Phil if it's a voltmeter you are looking for, then this one that Jim linked looks like a great deal at under $20...You could even paint the rim silver to be a close match to the other gauges.
I had something like this in my SV before I bought one of Blackdog's. I took the original bezel off of the gauge and replaced it with a spare stock one. (That was a little more work than just remove and replace, but wasn't terrible.) It looked fine to the casual observer, except at night when the gauge had a totally different look.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul, Thanks. I have never seen, nor heard of such a Smiths gauge before! I guess I owe Phil an apology if this is what he has in his Alpine.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
My 67 Alpine continues with its little surprises. Currently has a Battery Condition gauge that is intermittent.
Charging system checks out so lets replace this . Not much concerned about be exactly correct 'Volts" meter since this is a driver not a "points " car.
Phil in Nashville

Here is exactly what you are looking for Phil.

Rick

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMITHS-BAT...702520?hash=item3d98a12478:g:fREAAOSwW1Bd2Qlt

philt

Donation Time
Hi Tom: I have had this battery condition meter installed in Ol' Blue for more than 30 years. PeteView attachment 18004
The gauge in the picture provided by Paul is exactly what is in my car. Will be reaching out for a similar replacement if only to keep the wiring the same.
Others wise I guess a Smith Volt gauge with the numbers on top of the arch was likely original.
Phil T