• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wrong intake for engine?

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
I just acquired a parts car for my SV. The PO had started restoring it but it has extensive rust in the floor (nicely repaired with aluminum sheeting), the trunk, and on some of the sides. But it's fairly intact so I intend to strip it down and box the parts in my garage/barn. I have no idea of the condition of the engine but it has this older carb/manifold system on it. Is this the Series II configuration on this 1725 engine?

Parts_Alpine_Engine.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thats the SI-3 carb setup. If you give us the code from the top of the zeniths we can tell you what series they are from.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I think Michael is correct, only not for S3, which had a vacuum port in the manifold for the brake booster. This one uses a metal line for the booster vacuum...SI or SII... ??

An earlier post (search on Zenith) gives a way to ID the Zeniths by their top plate bolt pattern should their type be too faint to read.

Allan

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Is this the info you mean?

http://tubbs.cc/alpine/Parts_Alpine_carb.jpg

I guess a bigger question I have, is, is this setup worthwhile to hang onto for my other SV? I'm about to rebuild a set of ZS's for it, and after that's running well I intend to work towards installing a Weber 28/36 at some point since I have one. But the Zenith WIP is something I haven't any clue about since I've never had anything but SVs.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Is this the info you mean?

http://tubbs.cc/alpine/Parts_Alpine_carb.jpg

I guess a bigger question I have, is, is this setup worthwhile to hang onto for my other SV? I'm about to rebuild a set of ZS's for it, and after that's running well I intend to work towards installing a Weber 28/36 at some point since I have one. But the Zenith WIP is something I haven't any clue about since I've never had anything but SVs.

Bill, I think before anyone can touch this question, they need to know your definition of "rebuild". A pair of good Zeniths are good performers. But a complete rebuild of worn Zeniths can cost more than the total cost of converting to a 18-32 setup, even if a new carb is used.

Bill

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Understandable. I have no real interest in using them just because I have them, it was more that I wondered how well they performed (in good condition) compared to the later ZSs and others.

I have several vintage SAABs and some still have the original FoMoCo carb which works well. But others have shed that old classic due to worn shafts, bearings, and the like and have 34ICT or 34ICH Webers in their place. But just the fact that someone went to the trouble of going 'retro' with these Zenith carbs got me curious.

As I get around to dismantling the car I'll probably just leave them alone and keep it around for .... who knows?

Thanks!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

Are you sure that is a 1725?

As to your carbs, they are missing the connecting throttle linkage and choke linkage. They have also had the fuel inlets modified in a manner that is most likely not reversible. One thing you might check is if the accelerator pumps are frozen. If the pumps are frozen, then your carbs are probably best suited to be parts donors.

HTH,

lemansvk

Donation Time
Or more correctly, S1 to early S3 - my S3 came with only one carb, but it did have two throats :)

Just having a little fun Michael :)

Cheers Vic
Thats the SI-3 carb setup. If you give us the code from the top of the zeniths we can tell you what series they are from.

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Never having seen anything but the 1725, I couldn't say for sure if this is different -- good question! The block number that I read (and could be off a bit) seems to be "B 0309091 LSX", and there is an "H" under it. Does that sound right? Or at least possible?

lemansvk

Donation Time
Bill,

The easy way to tell a 1725 from others is the dipstick - if it goes into the block it's a 1725; if it goes into a tube on the sump it's not. If the engine number you gave is correct, it should be a 1600 block from Series V Hillman Minx. A 1725 from an Alpine V would start B395 and 9 numbers in total. The second letter S in the suffix indicates that this was originally in a saloon (sedan), an Alpin has R for roadster.

Engine numbers can be decoded at this site:
http://www.team.net/www/rootes/chassis.html

Cheers, Vic

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Ah!! Then it's definitely a 1600. The dipstick is missing but the tube is definitely into the sump. Thanks! That also explains the carb system. This car was pretty much dumped into a local farm as scrap, but it was clearly being restored at one time. The engine bay isn't all hooked up but is pretty complete, and the wiring harness is almost new. Seats are perfect, but unfortunately there is just too much rust in the body for me to worry about. If it was rare, yeah... but it's not.

Thanks for all the info!

Bill