• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

WOW. Read this!!!!!

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I couldn't see any rust.

Are there ANY digital cameras out there that take pictures this bad anymore? Even first-generation cell phones were better.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Some of the photos are okay. In those, I could see rust but no rust through. I guess it depends on your definition of "rust free".

But it sure has been beat to hell.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
wow

if you were to dip that body you would find a rust free car. that means no rust thru. doug at tiger auto has always said that if it's rust free it's probably been totalled. we have bought a few alpines from california and found no rust but he has always found many dents, bent frame rails, holes drilled to secure body filler etc. this car fits that description. no rust but beat to death!

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Eric,

That sounds like a description for race cars! Typically no rust but lots of dents. Of course, that's typically the contact they received during races.

Then, once the owner winds down his racing it is pushed in to the garage and left there for 40 years.

Steve

AlpineII

Donation Time
With the exception of a dime-sized hole in the bottom of the battery box, the Series II I restored was a California car that was truly rust free. There were a lot of doubts about that until it was completely stipped to bare metal everywhere. But there were 40 year of door-dings and it took a lot of panel beating to get it to the point I could have it painted without any filler other than lead in the seams.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, after listing my Series III on e-bay, I was schooled by all the idiots out there that think rust free means not even a spec of surface rust. I'm not sure what planet they are from or how they got access to our internet!!

agmason

Donation Time
If I had a car that had surface rust I wouldn't list it as "rust free". Visible surface rust is not "rust free" by any stretch of the imagination. Nor would I list a unibody car as having a "frame off" restoration.