• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Would This Fit In An Alpine?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
This baby is beautiful. It is short enough to fit the Alpine engine bay, but BOY!!, Does it have some hips!

Jose:D

Nickodell

Donation Time
Notice how incredibly over-square the cylinders are?

A real jewel. W-configuration engines were popular in the 1920s but seem to have dropped out of favor since.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Popular? Not in cars on this side of the pond. I read somewhere Ford looked at the configuration in the 30's, but that's as far as it got. I don't know of any US cars that had them.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
BTW, why do they call them "W" engines? Would think a "W" engine would use two cranks. These things are more like "Tridents."

Bill

Wombat

Donation Time
They (Audi) call it a W, but its more of a double V. They take two of their narrow angle V6s (15 degree I think) and join them joint them to a common crank at about 60 degrees. It more complex than that of course, but they can use common pistons, rods and perhaps heads. One of my father's trade journals had an article about them.

Apparently in German, W is not "double U", but "double V".

skywords

Donation Time
I had the pleasure of viewing one of the VW luxury sedans with the "W" type engine. Wow what a car it went no where for it had a price tag of $75,000.00 and the VW emblem on it. The car was as aerodynamic on the bottom as it was on the top. The CEO lost his job because he insisted on keeping the VW emblem. If I were one of the Pretty people I would have bought one.

Rick

Nickodell

Donation Time
Bill, your'e ..... aaarg ..... damn this is hard to say ... right. I don't know of any conventional automobiles that used a W-layout engine either. However, this design proved to be a winner in aero engine and water- and land-speed record use. A bit of trivia about the most successful one ever:

The Lion was a 12-cylinder W-block aircraft engine built by the British company Napier & Son starting in 1917, and ending in the 1930s. A number of advanced features made it the most powerful engine of its day, and kept it in production long after contemporary designs had stopped production.

Early in World War I, Napier were contracted to build aero engines from other companies' designs: including Sunbeams!. But in 1916 Napier decided to design their own instead. Their design followed the accepted criteria for aircraft power plants: high power, light weight, and low frontal area.

300px-LionEngine.jpg

Napier actually called the layout a "broad arrow," which makes more sense than "W." The engine was also advanced even by modern standards, with four valves per cylinder, twin overhead camshafts and a single block milled from aluminum instead of the separate-cylinder steel construction used on almost all other designs.

Prototypes of the Lion ran in late 1917 and the engine entered production in June 1918. The first versions delivered 450 hp from their 24 litres, later being increased to some 550 hp, making them the most powerful aero engines of their time. In 1922 a turbocharger option [nothing new under the sun!] pushed this to well over 700 hp, which compares well with the initial output of the R-R Merlin of 950 hp from 27 litres nearly 14 years later.

The Lion was so successful, being almost unbeatable in the inter-war years and powering over 160 different types of aircraft, that Napier stopped making cars in 1925.

In racing forms the engine could put out 1,300 hp and it was used to break a host of world records: height, air speed, and long distance in aircraft, water speed (the first 100 miles per hour in 1933) and even land speed: Sir Malcolm Campbell's over 250 mph in 1932 and John Cobb's 394 MPH Railton Mobil Special in 1947 - a record that stood until 1960. Not bad for an engine designed 43 years earier. Some trivia within trivia: 1) Reid railton was so confident in his streamlined car's shape that he predicted where the high-pressure airstream would bulge the bodywork inward slightly on the rear of the car. After the first record run the dent was exactly where he had predicted; 2) Railton avoided the weight, drag and potential hazard of conventional radiators and water pipes by cooling the engines with crushed ice. Enough was put in cooling tanks for one run, the resulting water being drained off and more ice added for the return run; 3) Cobb was the first man to travel over 400 mph (one run) on land; 4) The car used two Lions, one driving the front wheels and one the rear (rather like my Twinpine!) making it possibly the fastest 4-wheel-drive of all time. 5) Cobb was killed when he tried to add the world water speed record to his land speed title. At the time of his crash he had already become the first man to travel over 200 mph on water.

The Lions powered successful entrants in the Schneider Cup air races, in 1922 and 1927, but were then dropped by Supermarine in favour of a new, especially designed for racing, engine from Rolls-Royce, the Rolls-Royce R.

alpine_64

Donation Time
John Cobbs Napier Railton ran a triple bank napier eninge, lots of power lots of torque and lots of weight for a car with minimal braking