• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiring question(s)...AGAIN

dmich2

Donation Time
I know I keep coming back with these, but I really am trying to understand automotive electrical stuff. I don't know about most of you, but it's an area that baffles me. All the extra wiring that previuos owners have left behind, replaced, changed, just has my head spinning...:eek: I'm learning bits and pieces of the concept but terms are confusing me and the diagrams have areas of question. After all that....here goes: :eek:

1. On the schematics *** ( see link by tfctpa )http://www.myseriesii.com/images/siv-wiring.pdf I see an item referred to as a 'control box' and another called the 'voltage regulator'. Isn't the control box sometimes referred to as the voltage regulator, AND isn't the voltage regulator referred to as a voltage stabilizer??

2. Also on the schematic above, inside the control box are 'letters' E, D, F, A, A1. What do these letters reference.

Short of these old man taking a course in auto electrical wiring..:rolleyes: at the nearby community college (which I'm seriously considering) can you help a brother out???

Thanks,
Dennis

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
The voltage regulator is located under the dash and regulates the voltage to the instruments.

The control box is located on the inner fender next to the fuse box. The terminals on the control box should have markings A1 A F D and E.

gordonra

Donation Time
SNIP:

1. On the schematics *** ( see link by tfctpa )http://www.myseriesii.com/images/siv-wiring.pdf I see an item referred to as a 'control box' and another called the 'voltage regulator'. Isn't the control box sometimes referred to as the voltage regulator, AND isn't the voltage regulator referred to as a voltage stabilizer??

The control box as referenced in your schematic is the voltage regulator for the DC generator. A Voltage Stabilizer is essentially a voltage regulator, but in "Lucas speak" it usually refers to a small box that regulates the 12v down to 10v for the fuel and temp instruments. It is my understanding that early Alpines did not use a Voltage Stabilizer.

SNIP:
2. Also on the schematic above, inside the control box are 'letters' E, D, F, A, A1. What do these letters reference.

Thanks,
Dennis

I've never worked on an older series Alpine, but I'd imagine the letters in the control box are terminal identifiers.

I hope this helps....

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The control box as referenced in your schematic is the voltage regulator for the DC generator. A Voltage Stabilizer is essentially a voltage regulator, but in "Lucas speak" it usually refers to a small box that regulates the 12v down to 10v for the fuel and temp instruments. It is my understanding that early Alpines did not use a Voltage Stabilizer.

I've never worked on an older series Alpine, but I'd imagine the letters in the control box are terminal identifiers.

I hope this helps....

IIRC

The "E" goes to earth/chassis.
"D" is the dynamo/generator output.
"F" is the field coil input.
"A and A1" are the outputs to the battery and electrical system.

dmich2

Donation Time
You've all been a lot of help and I'm learning all the time. Not sure if you saw my reply in another post, but my SIV is a Jose conversion and has an alternator. I'm finding it helps to look at the SIV and SV wiring diagrams to understand the wiring. Now I'd like to know the following;

In diagram SV - http://www.myseriesii.com/images/Wiring-SV.pdf What do the numbers in the lighting switch, panel switch and ignition switch reference?

Dennis

mikephillips

Donation Time
Look at the back of the switches, corresponds to the numers you'll fun there, although you might need to wipe off the backs to see them.

dmich2

Donation Time
Thanks all. That makes perfect sense. My SIV has a lot of aftermarket stuff that was on the car after I purchased it. It's all good, for the most part, and some parts I assume operate similar to original.

There are 2 items I have another question about. I have an aftermarket ignition switch that works OK, but would like a more original looking one. It looks like an original ign switch has 4 posts and I would guess those would be, bat, ign,acc and the main line from the solenoid. Is that correct? Secondly. Mine has a headlight switch that operates much like newer autos, you 'pull' out a knob to turn the headlights on, and can rotate the knob left or right to make the panel lights brighter or dimmer. Does anyone else have this type of switch, and if so, do you know what it came out of?

Thanks,

Dennis

mikephillips

Donation Time
The headlamp switch is not an Alpine original setup. I don't know what it might be from, if you remove it there might be a part number or manufacturer name you could use to track it down. Or if you can post a photo someone might recognize it.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dennis, The original Ign sw has 4 posts, labelled 1,2,3,4 :

1- What I would call BAT. It's the brown wire that brings battery current FROM the same post on the solenoid that has the cable from the battery. That brown wire actually comes from the always live side of the fusebox but that fusebox is wired directly to the solenoid as stated above.

2 - Is what I would call IGN. It's the white wire that carries current from the switch to all the operating stuff- coil, tach etc.

3- Is what I would call START. It's the red/white wire that carries current TO the small post, the electromagnet, in the Solenoid. It is active only when the key in the switch is in the most clockwise position. On most SVs this terminal also has a wire that bypasses the ballast resistor and supplies current directly to the ignition coil - allowing more voltage to reach the coil and a hotter sprk during starting. The diagram you ref above does not show either the ballast resistor or the bypass wire. But every SV I have seen has these.

4- is ACC. Accessory position. so you can wire a radio to this and it will be energized in the normal ON position OR in the most CCW position, when the IGN terminal is OFF.

Tom