• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiring harness Ignition trouble shooting

KenDemp

Donation Time
I finished running the wiring from the new harness. (Pete's Performance wiring harness)

I am getting power to the ignition switch -- test light confirms this, but I don't seem to be getting any power from the switch unless the switch is all the way to the start position. In the "on" position, none of the other blades light the test light. For that matter, in the accessory position, none of the other blades are lit up either. In the start position, though, all the blades light up. Am I correct in assuming this is a bad switch? or am I missing something?

Thanks

Ken

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken,

My switch is wired using Pete's Harness and seems to be OK.

Using the original Ignitation switch in my SV Alpine it is wired as follows:

Pete's wires colored code: Red to Switch lug #1

Pink to Switch lug # 2

Orange to Switch lug # 2

Purple to Switch lug #3

Brown to Switch lug #4

I've tested these and every thing seems to work OK.

Hope it works for you.

DanR

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, I think the only thing you might be missing would be the way you've wired the ignition switch. I'm not suggesting you have wired it incorrectly, only that if it is wired correctly, the switch has to be bad.

Bill

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
This is correct wiring for Lucas switch 47SJ commonly found in Alpines/Tigers. I sent Ken an email indicating the switch is probably faulty. Pete

Ken,

My swith is wired using Pete's Harness and seems to be OK.

Using the original Igniatation switch in my SV Alpine it is wired as follows:

Pete's wires colored code: Red to Switch lug #1

Pink to Switch lug # 2

Orange to Switch lug # 2

Purple to Switch lug #3

Brown to Switch lug #4

I've tested these and every thing seems to work OK.

Hope it works for you.

DanR

KenDemp

Donation Time
Thanks guys. I guess it's a bad switch then. I was sure I had it wired correctly, just wasn't sure I hadn't messed up somewhere else.

I will order a new one and wait a few more days to fire it up

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, I note you do not say what pin you have connected the power lead to. Your description - no power except at input to the switch and then power to all terminals when in the Start position- describes exactly what would happen if you had connected the power lead to terminal 3 instead of terminal 1. This could easily happen if you are using the orientation of the switch instead of actually reading the terminal numbers on the switch. The numbers are hard to read, but they are there. I suggest you look closely at the numbers before ordering a new switch. Just my hunch.

Tom

KenDemp

Donation Time
Tom

I am 99.5% certain I had it right, but I am going to check one more time to up my certainty to 100%. Am I correct in my method? Plugging the power lead on #1, then turning the switch to the on position and checking the other terminals with the test light? I don't have to have the other leads connected in order to check the switch? Makes sense to me, but then again, lots of stuff seems good while I am doing it...

THanks

KenDemp

Donation Time
Mystery solved!

Between what Tom said about behaving as if it were wired with the power wire connected to terminal 3, and an email Pete sent me last night describing the leads, specifically saying that terminal 3 is the only single spade lead on the switch, I realized I appear to have a different switch. The single spade is marked #1. So when I connected the power wire to what is marked #3, everything works as it should.

Not sure if this is an aftermarket switch, or if I just got one made on a Friday. The switch is unmarked, and the key is stamped "Lucas".

Thanks all for your help.

Ken

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken. I am glad you found the problem and were able to remedy things! Congratulations on a successful installation. Regarding the switch - I have one in my toolbox that is similar. I am not sure of the manufacture. Regards from northern Minnesota - my home for the.next week. Pete