• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wire Wheels

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Having recently collected a good set of splined hubs and spoked wheels from different sources, I`m about to embark on removing my steel wheels and installing the spokes.

Looking around the site there doesn't appear to be a lot of information on this topic, additionally the WSM is not all that illuminating.

I`m OK with pulling existing hubs and have the tools, however, if someone can give me some insight on the installation process and pitfalls etc. that would make me feel a lot better.

The WSM says to fit an O ring to the front hub to prevent grease getting on the disc, I`m assuming that fits to the groove between the splines and tapered face where the inner rim sits ??

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is what the o-ring looks like when worn and with a new one in place.
Rick

Attachments

• P1060546r.jpg
    P1060546r.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 46
  • P1060549r.jpg
    P1060549r.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
Years ago I found that it takes a lot of heat, and a big hammer to get the rear hubs off. I did it with the axles in the the car, and when they finally release, they come off with a bang! Be careful.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
There used to be a hub puller floating around. Someone made one using a knock off spinner with a large hole in the center, with a thick rod going through and a sliding weight. I don't know if it is around anywhere. I remember borrowing it and shipping it back.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Rick, pictures speak a thousand words as they say; I was reading an older magazine article recently which surprised me by stating that the drive is transmitted through the hub on the coned rim surface, not the splines.
:confused:

Thanks for the tool tips, been down that road with early Chrysler hubs and am fortunate to have the right tools.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Always leave the Axle Nut in place! Just loosen enough to allow the hub to break loose, not fly off!:eek:

My first experience was when I was much younger and foolish or I might say not "experenced", working on my '40 FORD Coupe. Same type axle and hub with a key.

Lots of fun over the years, learning & re-learning.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Beamdream said:

I was reading an older magazine article recently which surprised me by stating that the drive is transmitted through the hub on the coned rim surface, not the splines.

I'm VERY skeptical of that statement. If that were true they would not need splines. I can believe a statement that the drive is transmitted through BOTH the coned surface and (not just) the splines. And maybe the author was emphasizing the importance of the coned surface contact. And I can imagine an experiment where one could grind off the splines and find you could still drive the car - for a while. Note that the hub is also mainly a "tight fit" to the axle, but even there, with all the tightness of that interference fit you will soon be facing, they still have a key to prevent turning on the shaft.

Tom

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Just a quick correction. I was thinking of the hub puller to pull the wire wheel hub - not the standard bolt hub. So the puller I used would be useless for you!

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Beamdream said:

I'm VERY skeptical of that statement. If that were true they would not need splines. I can believe a statement that the drive is transmitted through BOTH the coned surface and (not just) the splines. And maybe the author was emphasizing the importance of the coned surface contact. And I can imagine an experiment where one could grind off the splines and find you could still drive the car - for a while. Note that the hub is also mainly a "tight fit" to the axle, but even there, with all the tightness of that interference fit you will soon be facing, they still have a key to prevent turning on the shaft.

Tom

Yes Tom, perhaps I over simplified the statement, on reflection I think the intent was to explain the purpose of the coned faces and the need to make sure they were kept clean and in good shape. I will delve a little more and see if I can find the original article, I believe it was written by a wire wheel manufacturing company.

I guess like most people my focus has always been on the spline condition alone; would not have thought at all on the cone surfaces.

mightyohm

Donation Time
I purchased new hubs from MWS a while back. I seem to remember that the new hubs didn't have provision for an O-ring like the old ones did. This stands out to me because I bought a large bag of O-rings from McMaster Carr and wound up not using them. So now I have a large bag of O-rings that don't fit my car. :rolleyes:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jeff, I'm fix'n to put a new set of wires on one of my Series IV's, what would you take for a few of them?

DanR