• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wire wheel knock-on bolts

kha1967

Donation Time
Hello everybody

Can anybody help me clarifying a knock-on bolt issue.

I have a 1964 Series IV GT with factory original wire wheels and octogonal knock-on bolts. I've read that the 3 ear knock-on bolts was factory original for the wire wheels for Series I, whereas the octogonal knock-on bolts was factory original for Series II and onwards. In my Series IV Part List I see that there are 4 different knock-on for Series IV, 2 different with 3 ear and 2 different octogonal knock-on bolts

My question is if anybody knows when ordering a Series IV GT back in 1964 with wire wheels, did you have the option of chosing 4 different knock-on bolts as mentioned in Part List or did you always get the octogonal. I'm asking since I'm concideing if I should swap from the octogonal to the 3 ear knock-on bolt, but only if factory original.

And then an additional question as I also read in the Series IV Part List under the chapter Tools, that the hammer only goes to the knock-on with ears, which makes me conclude that if octogonal knock-on, then only the wheel spanner and and no hammer was a part if the toolkit. Is that a correct assumption?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
My '65 SIV GT BW35 Serial number B940 0766 has the three ears
know-offs and as for as I know it was ordered by prior owner that way.

Don't have a clue to your second question mainly all of the spare accessories were long gone when I bought the car.

DanR

alpine_64

Donation Time
In the UK market they switched to the octagonal nuts during SII production for pedestrian safety. You will see all the UK and home market cars with those from SII on.

For the states I think it may have been different, they seemed to have cars at least in the S3 range that had the 3 eared setup.

I would say a SIV shouldn't have he ears.. but the hammer might have come with the kit to help hit the spanner.. you are not going to get them on tight enough by hand.

as for 2 part numbers... i would say that's for left and right as they are sided.... and IIRC the SV might have gone from coarse to fine spline nuts? haven't got access to my library right now.. but think that's generally the case

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
My two-owners-from-new Series V was purchased with 3 eared knock-ons. I don't claim to be an expert, but I can't honestly remember seeing a Sunbeam with the octagons here in the states.

Had a friend with a Triumph that had octagons. It came with a special wrench that fit over the octagon and a hammer. You hammered on the wrench, which in turn transmitted the force to the knock on.

Hope this is useful!

agmason54

Donation Time
knock offs..

Hi
I have all series with wire wheels each withthree eared spinners or knock offs.I have seen an odd octagonal one on some parts cars and always assumed they came from an MG...
Al

mikephillips

Donation Time
I believe 68 year manufacture was when the US law required eliminating the knockoff ears as the series 1.5 E-type went to the octagonal then. So the Alpine would in the US would all have three ear caps. Remember, the parts manual shows everything for everywhere the cars were sold so there will be items in it that only applied to one country or area due to differing laws.

If the Alpine production has continued not only would the knockoff caps have change but the dash switched would have been required to as well. Those snap type switches were considered unsafe in an accident, possible risk of impalement was what the law change was about. Although like the spinner ears, of you were close enough for either to pose a risk of bodily damage, you probably had other things to worry about...

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
For what it's worth, the SIV I had in the US at one point had octagon spinners AND a special tool to put over the octagon and then hit the tool with a hammer.

It has been many years since I had that car. I actually just got it for the wires/hubs to put on my SV. I did not know its history. But I'm certain it was an X car. I would remember something like that if it was not.

I still have the tool. I don't think I have the octagon spinners.

kha1967

Donation Time
Hello everybody

Well thanks for all your responds!

To me it seems that both the 3 eard and the otogonal knock-on bolts were used, maybe mainly with reference to the Alpines staying for the homemarket or Alpines bound for export. I also believe that since Rootes had both the 3 eard and the otogonal knock-on bolts in there program for the Series IV, the buyer had an option to chose different from the standard if wanted.

That must be the conclusion the way I see it!

Kind regards
Kenneth