• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiper motor removal

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
Was hoping that my nonfunctional wiper motor was just a wiring/switch problem, but apparently not. Does anyone know how to remove the motor/gearbox to work on it? I unbolted it from the firewall and unscrewed the thing where the shaft comes out, but it didn't disengage from the cable. The drawing in the repair manual makes it look like it will come apart if you take off the cover plate, but that didn't work, either. It's just kind of a greasy mess hanging down now. Please advise! :confused:

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe you can remove the entire assembly with the cable and housing complete. If you want to remove the cable end first, I think you must take the entire back plate off and unclip the cable from the motor arm. Much easier to do on the bench. Once out, you could send it for rebuild to Lawrie Rhoads in MA. Depending on condition and needs, may be less or more than the $199 exchange available on ebay. The advantage, is you get your own mechanism back, original to your car. Very professional. E. Lawrie Rhoads, 7 Knolllwood Rd, Medfield, MA 02052. Phone (508) 359-2077. Info@british-car-part-restoration.com. No connection, but a good option. David

agmason54

Donation Time
SQ
I have removed the motor with cover plate and the drive cable still attached leaving the wiper arm transmissions and tube still in place. Just unbolt the nut on the cable tube and the motor and drive cable will slide out after the motor is unbolted.Don't forget to remove the wiper arms.
Agm

kmathis

Donation Time
I was going to suggest East Coast Jaguar for overhaul; I didn't know about Lawrie Rhodes, it is good to know that there are other places that are overhauling our old wiper motors and heater blower motors.
East Coast Jaguar Inc. 802 Naamans Road Wilmington,Delaware 19810-2005
I don't have the phone number just now, however just another option, I had both the heater blower motor and wiper motors overhauled at East Coast Jaguar, and it was a very professional job as well.:)

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I guess you're right. Taking the whole thing out in one piece will be easier than trying to disassemble it under the dash.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just got my wiper motors back from Lawrie Rhoads. Beautiful, clean, with clear diagrams and instructions for reinstallation. One had to be rewound, both bench tested, total including shipping $428. Glad to hear that the Delaware Jaguar guys will also do a Smiths blower, and I suppose they are the ones that do the wiper motor exchange on ebay. David

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
I believe you can remove the entire assembly with the cable and housing complete. If you want to remove the cable end first, I think you must take the entire back plate off and unclip the cable from the motor arm. Much easier to do on the bench. Once out, you could send it for rebuild to Lawrie Rhoads in MA. Depending on condition and needs, may be less or more than the $199 exchange available on ebay. The advantage, is you get your own mechanism back, original to your car. Very professional. E. Lawrie Rhoads, 7 Knolllwood Rd, Medfield, MA 02052. Phone (508) 359-2077. Info@british-car-part-restoration.com. No connection, but a good option. David

Hey, David. Thanks a ton for the recommendation. I sent the unit to Lawrie, and he rebuilt it for $100 plus shipping. It's pretty amazing. The thing looks exactly like a new one, down to the wrinkle paint job on the motor housing. I wish I could send myself to him for a rebuild.