• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiper Motor grease

dmich2

Donation Time
I've read several times of members with wiper motor problems that have discovered after 40+ years replacing the grease in their wiper motors can solve a lot of problems, i.e., slow wipers, intermittently or not working at all.

My question; what type, weight grease is recommended when replacing? I looked in my WSM and didn't see one.

Dennis

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Not an answer, but point of discussion... This is on my to-do list, after the Immersion -- I mean, Invasion. I was planning on Lubriplate marine-style grease -- looks like pale butterscotch pudding. Its a little lighter "viscosity" than full-on axle grease, and I've seen it used in several other similar mechanisms.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I really don't think the viscosity of the grease is very important. The problem is thickening with age. Just use chassis grease and plan on re-lubing every 30-40 years.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, Ken, Lubriplate is type of white lithium complex grease and should work OK. I would probably recommend using an EP lithium grease like Mobil's "Mobilgrease XHP-222" or "Polyrex EM", or Chevron's "Duralith EP-2"... these are all specifically designed for electric motors and will work well.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, my thought has been that the grease is exposed to both moisture as well as ozone, and needs to be an EP grease as well.