• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wiper motor gearbox grease

O

odl21

took my wiper motor apart to find all the grease in the gearbox had hardened. i've cleaned it all out but i'm wondering if there is any particular grease i should repack it with.

i have some white teflon bike grease at hand...

mikephillips

Donation Time
I believe you're supposed to use a special dielectric grease so that the parking contacts will still work if the grease gets under them. An electrical shop should be able to provide it.

O

odl21

I believe you're supposed to use a special dielectric grease so that the parking contacts will still work if the grease gets under them. An electrical shop should be able to provide it.

i don't follow... dielectric grease is an insulator...

Jersey Alpine

Donation Time
Do believe that dielectric grease is a conductor and anti-corrision grease that I use on every electrical connection that I can reach. Good stuff for errant grounds, etc. Keep 'em rolling, Vlad

O

odl21

but the word dielectric means insulator. i think dielectric grease is just a good water seal.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I may have used the wrong word there. As I understand there's a special conducting grease that should be used so that the parking switch can't lose it's contact on the gear.

O

odl21

but if the grease conducted then it would be conducting even when the parking switch was against the insulated piece and the wipers would never shut off...

tfctpa

Donation Time
Dielectric grease is not conductive however it protects electrical connections and wiring from salt, dirt and corrision. Also known as silicone paste, it can be used as a rubber lubricant and conditions rubber products without potentially harmful solvents (spark plug boots etc). It is also used in electronics to aid in heat transfer. (White stuff between transistors/microprocessors and heat sinks.) When you slide the connectors together there is metal-to-metal contact and the grease gets displaced but the area around connector is protected from moisture.

Hope this helps.

O

odl21

ahah, i thought i could keep under the radar jeff, but i can see you've matched my list of problems to my true identity!

anyway, you're right - the white stuff works fine. better than gearbox oil, i'm sure :)