• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Winter Weather

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi folks,

I know a lot of you see this type of weather much more often than we do around these parts. Also, there are those of you that almost never see these stuff. This first event of the year will probably deplete most of the snow removal budget for the year in this area. 12-9-18 snow 002.JPG 12-9-18 snow 007b.jpg

Have fun,
Don

Attachments

• 12-9-18 snow 016.JPG
    12-9-18 snow 016.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 25

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Don
So how much snow as of today? About 5 inches of rain here in SC the last few days but luckily no snow-yet! And it is not even winter yet.... Eric

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Don
So how much snow as of today? About 5 inches of rain here in SC the last few days but luckily no snow-yet! And it is not even winter yet.... Eric

Hi Eric,

Probably not much more accumulation. When I checked outside a couple hours after that photo, the precip had tapered off to a very slight and small sleet. The tail of the storm was to curl back over the area last night and early today giving another small chance of more wintry precip, but I didn't see any more falling. The official area reporting station at PTI claimed an official 12 inch total. That compares to a seasonal average of less than eight inches for the area.

The saving grace is that this storm occurred early enough in the season the ground is still warm enough to allow fairly easy clean up - just dealing with the volume is a challenge. The main roads are mostly clear but secondary and most residential streets still need attention. Clearing my driveway this afternoon, most of the snow had settled down to about three to four inches of slush. Expected low tonight should be around 20*. Tomorrow morning's commute should prove to be interesting.

Have fun,
Don

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Spent a few months in Christchurch, NZ where I had a short tour on the South Pole... man that was some ICE! Saw a bunch of that white stuff while stationed in ND '68-'72. The USAF thought I needed more exposure so I was in Alaska for 5 years "72 til '77 where the Kids enjoyed it more than me, but it seems to follow me. Next was Oklahoma for a lot of ice on the up and down hills around Midwest City. Amazing how some folks never learn to drive on snow or ice:)