• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windshield replacement

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi all:

I have to replace the windshield in my 64 Tiger clone. According to the shop manual the entire windshield frame must be removed to do this. Has anyone successfully replaced the glass with the frame still on the car?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Paul,
I removed and replaced the glass on my Series V with the frame on the car. I used the "sting method" for replacement. Based on my limited experience, it seems that it would be easier having the frame anchored to the car rather than floating on your work bench, because it takes some force to get the glass into the rubber. I don't know if the earlier Series cars were different or not - hopefully someone else will chime in.

65beam

Donation Time
windshield

paul,

call doug at tiger auto for advice on this. he working on my windshield at this time.

bob

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used the "sting method" for replacement.

I assume you mean the 'string' method? In which case, yes, the job can be done that way.

The WSM is entirely silent on how to replace the Alpine windscreen - it only details the removal (but not replacement), but it does say to remove the entire assembly to do the job. However, as you noted, using the string method will work and the windscreen can be replaced in-situ.

Having said that, the lower seal (w.s. frame to body) is almost always shot on these older cars, and as a result there's usually rust beginning on the screen frame and/or scuttle. Plus, it allows water to come in and piddle on your shoe when driving in the rain (my car did that very nicely). So, sometimes it's just easier and more thorough to just have the whole lot off and re-seal and restore everything in one go. The only issue is getting the screen back in the proper alignment, and as noted by others, there are some handy-dandy adjustable bolts that make that a lot easier. Also, if one accurately measures the existing screen's angles and placement before removal, it will make reassembly one heck of a lot easier, and with less fiddling. Kind of a modification on the old adage "Measure twice, remove once".

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the responses. I previously replaced one on the Series IV that I restored, but I had the frame off the car. If possible I'd like to leave the frame in place. The WSM is not much help, as Kevin indicated.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Unfortunately, as I've just learned it's almost impossible to replace the lower chrome frame surround, without at least raising the frame, some, to allow the chrome piece to slide into the lower gasket. I spent a day trying and only succeded in tearing the rubber. It may be possible, but I couldn't do it. Someone posted a warning about this, recently, but it was after I'd already mounted the frame to body. Installing the window in the frame, mounted, using the string method, was pretty easy. Use soapy water as lube.