• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windshield Frame removal

dmich2

Donation Time
OK, getting down to the wire for the Invasion. Just had a new winshield put in Sweet Pea by a pro and now I'm ready to replace the windshield to body gasket. As I'm replacing the dash pad and installing a new wooden dash **WHEW*** at the same time access to the winshield frame nuts was easy, well sorta. :rolleyes: I've removed 5 nuts, 2 on the outside in the dood channels and 3 under the dash. I figured it would be stuck, but hell....I'm afraid I'm going to break the new glass. :mad: That frame is on there. I've searched and searched for additional nuts and don't see any. Therefore, does anyone have any suggestions??? And don't say C4. :eek:

Dennis

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My windshield frames have two bolts on each side in the door channels. Removing those two might help!:cool:

Bill

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
I believe my Series IV has 7, one in the middle, 2 in each of the door channels, and 2 half way between the doors and the middle, one on each side.

dmich2

Donation Time
As that Grand Dame Roseanne Roseannadanna, would say.....:rolleyes: nevermind. I went back out into the 92 degree garage and tried again. Just by luck, I looked under the door channel on the outside of the car and whala, there was the other nuts. It was then I remembered reading a post in my 'Search" that Mike Phillips posted where on some SIV there were 7 bolts, 2 on each end. I have a 64 that is titled as a SV but has a SIV VIN.

Everything came right off, and the dry rotted dash pad is history!!! :D

It's beer time!!!:p I'll start again tomorrow...

Dennis

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Dennis, Take some pictures while doing your dash pad replacement, mine really needs it (got it, haven't done it) and I'd like to see the procedure. I've got all the windscreen rubber too, may as well replace that at the same time.

Tom j

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Dennis,
An item for your list, while you have the access: studs for tonneau cover at the demister vents. If you've already got it covered.... nevermind.
Ken

mikephillips

Donation Time
The number of nuts is explained a little backwards in the previous post. Rootes started out with 7 studs and nuts on the steel frame. Towards the end of series IV production and into the early series V they reduced that to 5 by removing 1 from each end of the frame. They then went back to 7 in 1966. Why did they do this?? No one, and nothing I've read, seems to know. My guess would be for cost cutting that probably turned out to be a bit less stable in use, thus the switch back.

And one thing about the dash pad, spend plenty of time test fitting. I've needed to shave a bit of the hard foam where it comes around the cowl above the dash to make it fit properly.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Dennis, make sure you locate the studs for the tonnue cover on your new dash pad!!! its allmost impossable to do after you put it back together:eek:

dmich2

Donation Time
Thanks folks for all your advice. I'm probably going to eliminate the tonneau pins as I don't have one, and don't see me getting one, I'll get some pictures of dash pad work and thanks for advice on trimming. I read it in a previous post and will go back and review.

Wish me luck. Weatherman says 95 today.

Dennis

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Instead of eliminating the posts for the tonneau, why don't you at least consider putting in 'placeholders' of some kind? Perhaps a couple of chrome, oval phillips screws, or something? That way, if later on you - or a future owner - wants to add them it won't be a total nightmare.