• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

windscreen

Limey

Donation Time
|Now that winter approaches and work calms down a bit I can get back into the workshop.

Last weekend I finished re-assembling the windscreen on my Series II. What a pig of a job!!

Took me 4 hours of assembly;mark the rubber; dis-assembly; cut rubber; re-assembly; cut a bit more rubber etc etc.

End result is spot on though.

I was slow and carefull as this was my second attempt. Last year I tried using a remanf screen from well known Dutch supplier. Although it was made (apparently) on orig mould and was stamped Pilkington (top World wide glass co) the ends of the screen curved in more than the original and on tightening up it cracked. Much effing and blinding as we say here.:mad:

So I had all my glass inc the old screen profesionally polished by a co that specializes in taking deep scratches out of vandalized bus windows and shop glazing. They did a top job but wouldn't remove the smaller stone chips (deep single point polishing distorts the screen in that area they advised). Big ones where resin filled and polished. The scratched arcs from the wiper arms all gone.

The side and rear glass came up as new.

Also they did an invisible resin repair to a thumb nail size scallop chip in the bottom edge where some foo' PO had used a metal lever or screwdriver.

I hope not have to do that job again for a long while.

This week I have started to refurb the steering wheel and boss with 100% as new perfect results after some trial and error. I repaired a crack in the boss and removed a hundred pits and dinks and some serious nicks in the rim and got a deep black shine. I'll post shots and method in the next week or so if anyone is interested?

Oliver

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Please do post your procedures and results, I have a bit of the same repairs to make.

Tom j